anyone here making 7 figures a year doing this?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by cole_, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Is there a reason you just didn't sit and think about what went wrong and avoid it next time? Yes, it sucks to lose a mill, but at the end of the day, it's just a video game that lets you buy cars and hookers.

#91     Jan 25, 2018
  2. Hello th0masq,

Thanks for your taking the time, effort, and courage of sharing your story. I believe we all have been there regardless of size of account. Very interesting story.

What are some of the trading lessons you learned rather winning or losing? You made alot of money and lost alot, i am sure you can share some of the mindset it takes to trade big size accounts.

#92     Jan 25, 2018
    themickey likes this.
  3. comagnum

comagnum

Yea truly good share th0masq. Making the big is the easier part, keeping is always the hard part.
    This applies to investors as well. History has shown us the wealth made in big trending markets
    are given back by the vast majority in the preceding bear market .

#93     Jan 25, 2018
    Clubber Lang and themickey like this.
  4. th0masq

th0masq

Looking back.. I thought I got into the stocks in my long term account at a good price. I remember Warren Buffet was telling everyone to buy at this time bc it’s cheap. I got in much better prices than Buffet. He made 10x his return and I lost it all. It comes down to how long can you hold onto it. I was too heavily margined and had to get out.

Anyway, Lessons I’ve learned when trading are so many thru the years. It’s the same things you read about. Risk/Money management are the most important. Next is Position sizing and going w the trend.

I think what traders need to know are themselves. You need to know what type of person you are. You cannot learn diff trader’s styles or methods. Trading is like a sport. You gotta be the best at what you do. Not what you are good at. Good isn’t enough. Most traders fail bc they don’t know what they are or what they want to do. Besides making money of course.

It’s like asking a professional athlete... Hey Tom
    Brady.. can you play WR? since you are so good at QB?
    Don’t trade setups that you are good at. Trade what you are great at and no one is better than you. Find that niche and you will do fine in trading.

Plus, when you are trading well and you get that feeling “in the zone.” Go big !!! When things don’t go your way ... get out or cut back down immediately.. You will make all your money during 2-3 months of the year. Rest is break even or chop around. Recognize it and save yourself money.

Hope that helps :)

#94     Jan 25, 2018
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

I liked your story Thomas, but...

...I have to disagree with this. First, the market doesn't go down anymore for any extended period of time. (half joke) Second, there is stop loss. Third, there is averaging up. Fourth, take only short positions with the big size if you are afraid of quick down movements.(dangerous in this environment) Fifth, you gradually increase size as profits accumulate.

The point is that there are solutions to that problem....

#95     Jan 25, 2018
    Overnight likes this.
  6. th0masq

th0masq

#96     Jan 25, 2018
  7. volpri

volpri

don’t forget the profitable (if one knows how) technique of averaging down.

#97     Jan 25, 2018
  8. tylerbose

tylerbose

Definitely, sadly i'm not one of em :(

#98     Jan 26, 2018
  9. Two Sheds

Two Sheds

Wasn't the official SPX low of that dip 666?

#99     Jan 26, 2018
  10. Traders are a total superstitious bunch!
    Its all psychological supports and resistances for them. My hedges for NDX@7000 were all punctured through today! So much for my take on trader sentiments. Preparing for my next set of hedges for NDX @ 10000

#100     Jan 26, 2018