Anyone here like HSI ??

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by scriabinop23, Nov 6, 2006.

1. 1. Metastock throught local data provider
    2. Phillips Securities HK office.
    3. 1
    4. Don't know, you tell me...

#51     Nov 19, 2006
  2. Yeah is thinner, still slightly better than mini-HSI

#52     Nov 19, 2006
  3. Pager

Pager

I trade and have done well with the HSI.

It is a bit of a strange one though, it looks thin at times but trades good volume, slippage on occasions can be savage especially around the end of each month and the roll to the next contract (all 12 months are traded).

It takes a break for lunch and can sometimes gap quite a bit between sessions.

If you are thinking to trade it also check out the Nikkei 225 and MSCI Taiwan Index that trade on the SGX, both have good volume and move around well, Taiwan is only US$10 per tick.

The SPI200 on the SFE in Australia is also good in this time zone as is the K200 in Korea.

Plenty to trade if you’re a night owl up in the northern hemisphere .
    :)

#53     Dec 30, 2006
  4. Which symbol do yo recommend for Nikkei 225 on SGX from IB?
    SGXNK
    SGXNKM
    N225U (in $USD)

Do you know how they compare to
    N225M
    N225
    on OSE?

What is SFE in Australia? Do you have the IB symbol for it?

Thanks.

#54     Dec 19, 2008
  5. Pager

Pager

SGXNK is the Singapore contract and the best to trade of all the Nikkei contracts available, trades in 5 point ticks that's 2500 Yen, also opens 15mins before the Osaka contract which trades in 10 point ticks (5000Yen), also closes 20 mins after Osaka and has an after hours market, volumes in both are good but IMO the Singapore contract with its 5 point ticks gives it the edge.

Also look at the Topix index, this trades on the TSE and will almost mirror the Nikkei, 1 point = 5000 yen but it does trade in 0.5 ticks, again good volumes and hours are the same as the Osaka Nikkei.

SFE is The Sydney Futures Exchange, the main equity contract is the Spi200 based on the main Australian index the ASX200 (IB symbol is SPI and data is free), the day session is from 9-50am to 4-30pm (Sydney time), there is then a night session from 5-10pm through until 8am, contract months are Mar/Jun/Sept/Dec , so it trades about 22 hours a day, volumes, depth and spreads on the Day session are good, i trade up to 10 contracts and if stopped out its usually at or within a tick of my stop price, although with recent volatility ive been stung a few times especially around the open if it does suddenly make a big move, tick price is A$25 per point and currently the daily range is about 120 points (A$3000), IB charge A$5 per side and most full service brokers around A$10.

The Night session of the Spi is very different to the day with often big spreads and very little on the bid/offer, volumes are also allot less and it spends most of the time tracking the ES.

The Spi is the main contract i trade and i have done very well from it, well worth looking at but IMO only the day session.

#55     Dec 19, 2008
  6. Thanks! Very informative.

#56     Dec 19, 2008