Anyone Have Home Web Server Experience?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by da-net, Jan 13, 2014.

1. da-net

da-net

I need to buy a new sandbox webserver for my (small) office. It needs to be 4 fast cpu min, over 64 gig ram, multi gigabit NICs, dual PS, 400 gig Raid SSD drives, capable of Centos v6, lower power consumption, small footprint, and QUIET

I have been using a Supermicro 1U for a couple years and it has been ok, but I get such headaches from it (noise) and it consumes lots of power

Was thinking of a new Dell E5 2695 series-- anyone have any other suggestions?

2. You said web server. We use $60 eBay Dell boxes, target 4-6 of them online at all times placed around the world. 2-core and 2gigs RAM with one main racked box same vintage.

What the heck website are you self hosting that needs to be quad-core, 64-gigs of RAM and 400gig SSD? That's 16-gigs per core... one heck of a ratio... 400gb SSD in RAID?

We run 5+ production websites on those $60 dell boxes... One box, 5 sites.

If you really need those specs just spend up and get whatever you need. Why are you asking here?

3. just21

just21

4. da-net

da-net

Thanks for the help! It is appreciated.

5. I'm still very interested in why you need a fast quad-core CPU with 64+ gigs of RAM on an internal/sandbox web server.

We host a few sites that are stores with almost 20,000 items for sale and they are all in SQL databases so response and search time (plus load and instant download) needs to be FAST!

We don't run our stuff on anywhere near the hardware you are asking about (3.0ghz dual or 2.33ghz quad with 4gb RAM... and these are OLD Intel E8400 vintage with DDR2 desktop RAM for the most part, or server equivalent). Would love to know more about your application. Usually we factor a core:RAM ratio of 1:2 (one core per 2gb RAM) on many of our Hyper-V or VMware servers that host machines for clients/traders. Still 64-gig and quad core is a 1:8 ratio which is very high... What the heck are you doing??

(and yes, ask these questions somewhere else, you won't get answers to that type of hardware question here)

6. Maybe he's building the finviz.com killer....

and

running the webserver, database, and update scripts/studies on the same box...

7. And running the whole thing in RAMDRIVE?

8. If he's running just a webserver, then it's beyond overkill unless he has spare cash he wants to burn for winter heating... But it conflicts with his noise intolerance..

Maybe he's running a database, also, like I said before. He didn't mention it, but maybe. If he is, and it's big (or going to be), having as much loaded in memory would be ideal, performance-wise.

If he's a bona-fide developer, then he'll probably find a use for it. He did mention the SuperMicro board, which is a server class board. Unless he bought it used and/or 5-10 years old, he's doing something interesting and hasn't provided us any useful details... If that's the case, he's definitely on the wrong website...

In my previous life as a Unix SA, the developers never had enough CPUs, CPU horsepower, or RAM to meet their simulation needs. If he's an engineer, that's probably shaping his mindset regarding the specs... MOAARR!

9. 2rosy

2rosy

10. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I know this doesn't meet your requirements, but a Mac Mini could be a sick little webserver for a home office. Super quiet, 64-bit, 16GB of RAM, 1TB of storage. Set up a few of them and you'd have an awesome little cluster.

#10     Jan 16, 2014