Anyone have a Dual monitor Dell?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joeboy, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Joeboy

Joeboy

I need a Dell with Dual monitors, to run TS-7. If anyone has any pointers, it would be very helpful. I am thinking along the lines of the 8300 model w/flat panels. My biggest concern is there ability to deliver on the dual monitor catagory, As I totally do not comprehend the techy side of it.
    Thanx!
    Oh,dont tell me to build a pc 'cause it wont happen.:D ,,,yet.

2. gnome

gnome

512MB RAM, minimum, and either Win2K or XP will be fine. (I have both and prefer Win2K for my trader.)

Ask Dell if you can order your computer with a dual monitor card. And as you're not up to speed on the tech side of that yet, it will likely be a benefit to have Dell support on all issues. (If you add video cards or other items after the computer is delivered, Dell Support will want you to "restore you computer to the configuration when you bought it"... that is, remove what you've added as they won't help you troubleshoot issues which may be due to other products not purchased from them... only fair.)

3. EricP

EricP

I have several Dells that are dual monitor capable. In fact, I don't think there is even an added cost for this upgrade. I have single monitors running on most and dual monitors running on one or two of them.

You should have no problems with them at all. It takes a few minutes to figure out how to enable the second monitor, once you connect it to the second video card port on your computer. Otherwise, it's as simple as can be.

-Eric

4. Bullet

Bullet

the only cost of dual monitors is 1) an upgraded video card that will allow for two monitors (don't be cheap hear or your picture will suck) and 2) an adapter that dell sells for 10 bucks.

I bought my dell about a year ago (maybe a bit longer). I have an 8000 series with 1gig ram and 2.4 processor. Runs great. oh yeah, i run xp pro. good luck.

5. reg

reg

Purchase your Dell 8300 with the Raydeon 9800 128mb video card and it will be able to handle 2 monitors. This cost $110 thru Dell. They have the Radeon 9800 Pro card which cost $300 but the less expensive version should suffice. If you will be running digital monitors with your 8300 you would not need to purchase the adaptor. The adaptor is for use only with analog monitors.
    Hope this helps.

6. Bullet

Bullet

reg is right. I run two analog monitors. Which is why I needed the adapter

7. Joeboy

Joeboy

reg,,,,do you have the Raydeon 9800?
    Should I try to get the MatroxG450 mellennium card instead?

I'm not sure on this but i think dell has a matrox 400 card that they use. How do I know what card to get? It seems like a jungle out here.

I'm gonna call and order the Raydeon, i guess.
    They seem to want to use it in there pc line-up. ATI makes the Raydeon card, i take it. OH, can i get more mem on a video card or is 128mb enuff for 2?

Thanks everyone for all of the info here.

8. nitro

nitro

The G550 is the preferred one for only two monitors.

nitro

9. jeffrey3

jeffrey3

Pardon me but I am a newbi to hardware.

I have a Compaq and am planning on buying a DELL with 2 OR 3 Monitors.

(1) How do I know if mine is a digital monitor and

(2) what specs should I ask for to DELL?

Jeffrey:confused:

10. reg

reg

Joeboy

The reason why I mentioned the Raydeon 9800 is because that seems to be the only dual-monitor card available thru Dell which they are willing to install in their computers. I may be wrong on this. Otherwise, you can go with the Matrox G550 as nitro suggested for 2 monitors or the Matrox G450MMS for up to 4 monitors. The Matrox cards cost a lot more that the Raydeon, so it just depends how much you are willing to spend.

#10     Jun 22, 2003