Anyone has more than two computers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FunMan, Sep 5, 2010.

1. #21     Sep 7, 2010
  2. IS anyone using high res monitors. I don't mean 20-24" 1920x1200. I mean 2560x1536 or greater. They're more than 5x more screen space than 17" monitor. And 26-27" diagonal. I would like to hear about their configuration.

#22     Sep 7, 2010
  3. An idea for you... instead of 30" monitors, try 2x20", with portrait display, which is my setup.

2x20" has about 30" diagonal screen and 2400x1600 res for the 2. You can get them with S-IPS panels for about $700 for the pair. That's better than $1100+ for a 30"er..... assuming your mobo can accommodate the video cards.

#23     Sep 7, 2010
  4. Bob111

Bob111

i using 3 desktops,6 monitors for trading. each runs different accounts and systems. and on forth PC i do my programming,browsing and play games :p

search ET for Maestro setup :p

#24     Sep 7, 2010
  5. Bob111

Bob111

6. Dual Quad Xeon Server/32GB Ram for trade optimization.
    Dual Quad Xeon Server/64GB Ram for black box
    Dual APC 3000 battery backups
    2 - Quad Core PCs/8GB Ram - Manual Trading
    2 - Dual Core Laptops/8GB Ram - Order Entry
    1 - Dual Core PC/4GB Ram - Manual Trading
    3 - Dual Core PC's/ 4 - 12GB Ram - Personal
    1 - Core Solo PC/4GB Ram - Media

Current and in the process of upgrading manual trading computers and adding another server.

#26     Sep 7, 2010
  7. Thats a good idea, I'll investigate further, thanks. Here's the monitor i was considering (x2). No need to change graphics card.
    Dell UltraSharp U2711 27 inch H-IPS LCD Monitor (2560x1440!) $899 Free Shipping. $100 Price Drop! Dell Home has the Dell UltraSharp U2711 27" H-IPS LCD Monitor for $899.00 Free Shipping. Tax in most. Comes factory-tuned by PremierColor for color accuracy. Features capacitive touch switches for set-up and screen optimization, height adjustable along with tilt and swivel. Also has a 4-port USB hub and media card reader. 2560x1440; 6ms; 1000:1 contrast ratio; 350its; HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI, VGA

#27     Sep 7, 2010
  8. Dell higher-end monitors are good... I've had a few.

If you're going the "24"+ route, you might consider having fewer. Next time I upgrade, I think I'll try a chart window of 3x24", portrait mode. That way, I'll need only 2x16 slots on the mobo.

The best "USB connection" is on the back panel of the computer. The front panel is less, as are all USB connections via peripherals or hubs... may or not be an issue, just a heads up.

#28     Sep 7, 2010
  9. Having multiple monitors and multi-tasking are two different things.

Having multiple monitors just mean more information are presented to you via more screen space. It is up to you how/when to observe and process the information.

An analogy is driving a car... you look at the road ahead of you, you look at the instrument panel for speed/temperature/oil-pressure/alerts, you look at the rear-view mirror for traffic behind you, and you look at the left side mirror for traffic to your left. You constantly go back and forth between them. Are you multi-tasking? They are all an integral part of your main task: driving safely.

If you drive, and talk on the cell phone, and fumble with the radio channel selector, and chew down a Big Mac... now that's multi-tasking.

The advantage of having multiple monitors is primarily speed and convenience: having the information that you access or monitor often available to you without having to type in a different symbol or invoke a different chart setting or load a different page layout. Maybe they are charts of different instruments, or charts of different time-frames, or charts of different types (e.g. market profile versus time charts). You tilt your head by 10 degree... there, the visuals are right there on the screen.

Unfortunately many posters automatically associate having multiple monitors with "you have to be doing different things on every monitor".

#29     Sep 7, 2010
  10. McBet

McBet

Response times are of equal use to traders as sub-millisecond quotes delayed by 20 minutes. Response times measure minimum temporal spacing of data *arrivals*, not how fast the visual display reacts to incoming information, which should include also the route from the graphics card through the monitor's electronics to the screen surface... and that can be as large as your network latency (and that's on top of the CRT benchmark).

#30     Jan 1, 2011