Anyone good with Trader Workstation? Need help setting up chart appearance

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by CocaColaKid, May 25, 2020.

1. Out of all the charts I've used I find I'm most comfortable with IG's new web platform but am in the process of moving over to TWS.

Is there a way I can get my charts to look more like IG's? TWS seems to have a lot of options so maybe I'm missing it.

IG Intraday 1min
    IG.png

TWS Intraday 1min

TWS.png

Grantx likes this.
  2. roca

roca

did you add "show data outside regular trading hours"? If not its available in "Chart Parameters"

3. roca

roca

Also for the timeframe just choose "1minute" instead of "314 minutes/1minute"

4. Grantx

Grantx

I am in exactly the same boat as you. Are you moving your account to IB as well? Do you trade currencies, futures, shares, options?

CocaColaKid likes this.
  5. Yeah, I'm considering it. I have accounts with IG and HL but to move cash from either of them would mean I'd be unable to trade it for 2 or 3 days, so really want to be sure I like TWS before committing.

I put £100 in IB to pay for data subs but they messaged me today saying it's a no go. Need £2k before they'll let data run.

Being super comfortable with the charts is priority for me. I did make some progress today. Found an option to remove candle outline, removed grids, and zooming in on the day has made it a lot clearer.

I'm on Mac so I like to zoom in and out on the trackpad, I can't seem to make that work right now on TWS.

What's holding you back from moving over right now?

Grantx likes this.
  6. ZBZB

ZBZB

how many trades do you have to do at IG to get pro real-time for free?

7. Grantx

Grantx

I have an account with both. I must admit I really hate the TWS charting capabilities. Something I like doing is to click and drag the chart around, horizontally and vertically. But you can only click and drag horizontally so I'm continually drawing fuckin trend lines everywhere lol.

Also the order entry is an absolute ball ache although I must admit I need to spend more time getting familiar with it. I have used Sierra charts and prorealtime with IB, both of which are good packages but don't provide options trading which is why I have to learn the TWS platform.
    The die hards swear by it so for the time being I reserve my own judgement and continue with it.

Use the IB chat help as much as possible they are very good.

In terms of data I am not sure why they cannot provide it for free seeing as every other broker /platform provider are doing just that. Anyway maybe they will catch a wake up and get with the programme.

8. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Has anyone viewed the IB webinars on Charts and ChartTrader and such?

They are worth 3 or 4 viewings just to start, and then another 3 or 4 in a few months...

Seriously.

9. Grantx

Grantx

I have watched one but it was a link provided by the chart help and I have no idea where the others are located. Are they on youtube?

10. this post may not help you butt mabye something to consider. if you can generate trade signals from higher time frames, then getting classic (delayed) on demand mb worth it for 54$ + tax for US exchanges. the global package is £70 a month including vat. there are a few add on exchanges. the downside is that you need to manually refresh in the charts. it works for me bc the lowest i go is 10 minutes intraday out to monthly.

IMHO, esignal is the best charting package out there, much better than bloomberg and reuters. more user friendly than cqg (they have the same functionality)

if you can afford it, if you pay for the signature package, you can connect esignal to TWS, then data feeds into the charts. then you can trade from tws or esignal without paying for data twice

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    #10     May 25, 2020