anyone gone from trading at home to career

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by chipmunk, Sep 17, 2008.

1. I know what it feels like , you are prolly with a bank of some sort.

I used to trade with a fund and i couldn't stand it and now I returned to being on my own.

It's BS trading , so many restrictions that you whole system is warped out of shape. Nonsense.

I bet the Hedgies don't trade like that.

#11     Sep 19, 2008
  2. vita

vita

I used to be. But the system was inefficient and bureaucratic. So, I decided not to be a corporate guy last year and gone solo. I know exactly how you feel.

#12     Sep 19, 2008
  3. JCVR

JCVR

If you had the opportunity to go from trading at home to trading for a big hedge fund I would say take it, absoloutley. You might have to deal with having a "boss", but if you go to a real traders hedge fund you will likely have enough capital at your fingertips to be able to trade your way out of anything, plus great technology, the best research available and access to most of the other traders ideas to piggyback onto. Plus in most cases the hours are great and if you wanted to you could easily still trade from home or the road.

#13     Sep 19, 2008
  4. So why do you stay there ?

#14     Sep 19, 2008
  5. Yes I agree , from what I know HF setups are as you say.

Bank so called props are nothing more than glorified bums pimping off their market making and frontrunning facilities.

#15     Sep 19, 2008
  6. vita

vita

I am no longer there and I will never go back to working for any bank for all the reasons mentioned above.

#16     Sep 19, 2008
  7. If you can trade consistently well in a liquid instrument and are well versed in money management to allow yourself growth you would be insane to trade for any company or institution. Not only a waste of time for a waste of profits.

Now that's the easy part, the hard part is trading well.

Anek

#17     Sep 19, 2008
  8. I thought you said you are a bank trader.

#18     Sep 20, 2008
  9. Quality of life is the main reason I would never work for a firm again.

Money is not everything. Past a certain level quality environment, more free time become important.

By quality environment I mean having enough workspace, light, air, being able to see the changes of the sky, surrounded by wonderful art and plants, listening to my choice of music, having facility for making healthy meals and being a city block away from a park I can jog in (during trading hours presence of the opposite sex is not necessary).

At the time when I am finishing my morning run I see people rushing into town, I feel thankful it's not me.

Several people in the thread mention the value of gleaning other traders ideas in an institutional environment.
    If the abundance of information on the web and other sources is not enough for a trader there may just not be creative or resourceful enough to be on their own to begin with.

Best,

GC

#19     Sep 20, 2008
  10. bb3pt

bb3pt

there are advantages and disadvantage in everything. but i will take trading at home! main reason is FREEDOM!

#20     Sep 20, 2008