Anyone going to the NY Trader Expo?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Maverick74, Jan 11, 2007.

1. gaj

gaj

first: i live within 90 miles of nyc, and will be taking public transportation (train) into the city.

it all depends on your level.

if you're a beginner, maybe one of the idea clicks and really helps you later on.

a couple book vendors are there and have a wide variety of books which you can check out and see if you'd like to purchase them. a few years ago, at least, there were books which were only available to 'browse' at the former mcgraw-hill bookstore on 49th st (because they were targeted to a very small niche of people).

if you've done ok, and are looking to meet up with people you've talked with online / vendors you deal with, it's good.

there are a large number of free seminars covering a variety of topics. i may go to one of the forex (or commodity, if they have any) seminars, as i'm not strong in that area and would like to learn it for future use. the big problem with the seminars is there's no 'minimum' level of knowledge, so some of the more advanced seminars might have people unsure what support and resistance are, and thus it holds up the entire 'class'.

this will be my 3rd or 4th time going, i forget which.

why am i going? a bunch of reasons:
    -> i want to see penson (clearing firm) and a few of the brokerages which are there, so that i can get another broker which fits some very specific needs. face is usually more helpful than phone or email.
    -> forex/commodity seminar if available, as i mentioned above.
    -> while i'm there..."thank you, ib, realtick and ET!" and as i did a few years ago, "don bright, you're extremely helpful on the ET boards".
    -> if anyone i correspond with decides to come in, i'll meet them face.
    -> a bunch of friends of mine live in nyc or hoboken, and i'll be hooking up with some of them at some point during the day for lunch and/or dinner. i should really start checking who's available this week; i know 2 aren't because of the long weekend/nba all star game. queens and lower east side aren't that far away...

#51     Jan 28, 2007
  2. RedDuke

RedDuke

So far no one is wiiling to commit to meet at a particular place. What's the issue?

#52     Jan 28, 2007
  3. LOL how much you need?

I've been to the Expo once like years ago, that was enough. It's pretty much the same every year, just more vendors and snake oil. I wonder if the green light, red light is going to come back.

They need to get some hot chicks in bikinis like the car shows do.

#53     Jan 29, 2007
  4. wickcity

wickcity

Going for the first time. Flying in on Friday and leaving on Monday.

Anybody want to meet up, let me know.

#54     Jan 31, 2007
  5. I`m all set thanks...swimming in Hindu Kush over here. :D

Same here. I went once in 04 I think. I approached a future broker and wanted to talk about the new mini crude and nat gas contract specs. This guy barks at me "E-MINIS...$5.00 per round trip!". I just turned around and left the building.

I do remember some hot Russian chick posing in front of a mini cooper or something.

I`m actually going this year because a friend of mine has a booth. So we are gonna hit up Karma hookah bar and various other debauchery will be in play i`m sure.

http://www.karmanyc.com/

#55     Jan 31, 2007
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

I can confirm my attendance now.

#56     Jan 31, 2007

7. you there all 4 days? i will attend sunday/monday.

surf

#57     Feb 1, 2007

8. Sounds cool, but how do you keep from getting cooties, not to mention other scary microbes, when you smoke a hookah?

thanks,

surf:cool: :confused:

#58     Feb 1, 2007
  9. Whassup Marketsurfer,

I have never been but I have the same concerns. My NYC hookah hookup says you rent them for the group you are with..about 30 bucks. And they provide new out of the wrapper mouth pieces for you. Included in the cost is full service. They come around and change coals and tobacco for you.

#59     Feb 5, 2007
  10. Palomino

Palomino

I'd like to attend, if anything to meet other traders.

What booth is Maverick going to be at?

And again, which days?

#60     Feb 6, 2007