Anyone getting flat bars with IB.

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by John Bowles, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Syprik

Syprik

I'm very serious about this full-time profession and have never had issues with IB data until mid-Sept (Globex backfill). I'm also a DTN/IQ subscriber for backup data purposes. If you are serious, not sure why you'd have to justify a measly $120/month backup feed incase something goes wrong with primary.

IB realtime data is of higher quality than IQ from my experience. Notice upwards of 5-6sec lag with IQ compared to IB real-time during high market activity. IB order execution has always been top-notch. Their customer service sucks.

#41     Oct 17, 2008
  2. IB has customer service?

#42     Oct 17, 2008
  3. So another person on the MC forum who uses IB says they are having problems with YM backfill which is also Globex. Their ESZ8 is also locked.

So if Globex (ES, NQ and YM) can't backfill properly from IB yet Montreal can then the IB to Globex connection seems confirmed.

#43     Oct 17, 2008
  4. Aok

Aok

Nik, any link to this info?

TIA

#44     Oct 17, 2008
  5. Harald

Harald

All problems should occur simultaneously on TWS charting and the software used via API, otherwise they would not be backfill related.

So the following test was done with TWS directly and NinjaTrader, which I use as a front end:

All Globex instruments (ES, NQ, EMD, 6A, 6B, 6C, 6E, etc.) and all Nymex instruments (CL, RB, HO, GC, SI, etc.) took over 2 minutes to load and show flat bars on TWS. See example of Crude Oil Chart below. Screenshot directly taken from TWS. Other charts for NYMEX and GLOBEX look similar.

All IDEALPRO currency pairs show flat bars this morning, loading charts and backfill is fast though. Complete charts and fast backfill is available for EUREX, ICE, NYBOT and ECBOT Agricultural.

The problem is GLOBEX and NYMEX. Does anybody know how to convince the IT department of Interactive Brokers to maintain their infrastructure in line with the needs of their customers?

I had been so far satisfied with IB, but no charts for the main futures contracts of GLOBEX and NYMEX for more than 2 weeks is simply not acceptable.

#45     Oct 17, 2008
  6. gangof4

gangof4

another blame data point:

i'm on IB's HK server and all the details are same same for me as others have reported.

have i mentioned i hate ib...

#46     Oct 17, 2008
  7. Convince IB! As always the pocket book. I sent them an email this morning mentioning that MultiCharts has other brokers they are working on to include as feeds for their software. I think you have to send these emails as high up as you can past the IT department. I chose customer service. Make it as calm as possible with details and plans if possible. Anger suggests no plan. So it has to be many people doing this. Suggest this to all you can. If you find an idea entry point into the organization for these emails broadcast it to all those effected as best as you can. Encourage others to come up with improvements to this approach and do the same. Leverage buy getting competitors on their back too.

#47     Oct 17, 2008
  8. rc5781

rc5781

how many simulated accounts to they have, if their system is strained why the hell do they even have any?

#48     Oct 17, 2008
  9. To pressure them, if you are comparing other brokers create a spread sheet with the comparison and post it here and ask others to contribute. Make sure they know you are doing this. I can't because I have a lot programmed around IB.

#49     Oct 17, 2008