Anyone get hit with"click.livesearchnow" redirect?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by tango29, Mar 24, 2013.

1. first off i agree w/ your brand of justice but now that you seem to have solved the prob let me offer a solution or two...

immediately install firefox (or chrome) and adblock plus and make this the default "internet" on your comp

tell everyone is house "if you download anything w/o my permission i'll force you to have a convo w/ someone from ET for a minimum of at least one hour!"

install MSE (it's free for windows users and better than 99% of all AV software imho)

remember, 99% of probs are user error/generated (e.g. your wife not using firefox or chrome w/ adblock plus or noscript).

#11     Mar 27, 2013
  2. tango29

tango29

I'll look into MSE for this computer(Win7). Obviously Norton wasn't of much value in this case, other than having to go and use their Power Eraser after the fact.
    About 5 years ago my Dad, who was at the year 1 point of dealing with identity theft, went to a town hall meeting with his Congressman. He asked what Congress is doing about the internet and identity theft, and nailing these dirtbags. The Congressman told him it really isn't a big issue, and far from a priority. More people have mail stolen from their mailboxes than have identities, and personal info stolen via the internet.
    Good thing these are the people that represent us and have absolutely no clue what they are talking about, and what to do it about, or even think about the problem.

#12     Mar 28, 2013
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

I can't think of Norton of much value in any case.

#13     Mar 28, 2013
  4. seriously. norton is the biggest piece of bloatware in the history of the world. well that and adobe pdf. if you're using adobe pdf and you're pretty much only reading things in it (not annotating, editing, etc) i strongly suggest getting rid of adobe (using revo uninstaller to completely get rid of it) and installing a lightweight alternative (i use sumatra pdf which is free http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/download-free-pdf-viewer.html)

#14     Mar 29, 2013
  5. deucy28

deucy28

Poster FrankSlaughtery (above) has referred to various, helpful means and how to get to them on this thread. I asked him to explain more the WHY behind his recommendations. He quickly and kindly went to the effort. You'll find he consolidated it all on one post.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3775927#post3775927

#15     Apr 9, 2013
  6. brad10

brad10

Ditto

#16     May 16, 2013