anyone get a virus email from a fake IB address

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by tango29, Jul 13, 2003.

1. tango29

tango29

I just got an email from an address set up to look like it was from IB. It had a bunch of letters in front of the normal address name for IB and contained an attachment with a virus in it. Fortunately my ISP caught and hopefully my virus program would have if they didn't. I am curious if anyone else has gotten this? Also it was sent to an email address for an account I had closed with IB 1 yr ago. The only other connection is that yesterday I switched my email address for this forum to that address also. Whether that means someone nabbed it from here and threw on an address that might get a trader to open it is a possiblity also I suppose.
    Thank you for any input on this.

2. Ebo

Ebo

Just make sure you have an up to date Norton's or McAfee Subscription. These new viruses are so sophisticated they could have gotten your address from anybody that had that address in their outlook box. I got a virus sent to me from an address of a hotel that i stayed at 1/2 years ago. It is impossible to figure out who sent it and whose box has your address.
    Also use a temporary address when signing up for anything.
    Then delete it so you do not get SPAM or virus.
    That is my .02!

ebo

PS:

I have Four places to catch viruses before they can enter.
    1. My CABLE ISP scans all attatchments
    2. My Firewall does not allow any attatchments that are NON pdf.
    3. My Anti Virus Software scans every inbound and outbound E mail.
    4.I keep the setting on my OutLook Express that does not allow any attatchments. If I want to read an attatchment, I click forward and am able to see it.

3. omcate

omcate

About eight months ago, I got a virus embedded in an e-mail from a company manufacturing video editing card. Two months ago, my computer was infected by a virus, although I did install Norton Anti-virus program. (I may have forgotten to update the virus definition.) I had to refresh the OS using Dell's recovery CD. It was a mess. I still have some problems using AOL software and Microsoft Word 2000.

:( :( :(
    :( :( :(