Anyone elses TWS platform hogging CPU ?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by El_Cubano, Oct 15, 2019.

1. El_Cubano

El_Cubano

Not sure whats going on...my platform is chugging hogging CPU cycles and one of my scanner settings got completely blown out. Anyone else experiencing similar?

Its unusable right now even after a whole system reboot. Tried stepping down from latest to stable and same issue. So must be something with the Java implementation they're using? So frustrated right now, lots of good opportunities missing out on

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  2. ZBZB

ZBZB

Update your BIOS and drivers. Maybe it is the Intel microcode spectre problem.

3. kroon1ke

kroon1ke

Try increasing memorly allocation for TWS. Go to Edit -> Global Configuration -> General and increase number in Memory Allocation. TWS became stable only after I increased it to 14000, but it probably depends on the way you use TWS so play with the number a bit.

4. El_Cubano

El_Cubano

I've already increased memory allocation. But that woidknt affect cpu usage anyway

5. I've had issues with that in the past as well. Couldn't figure out a solution. Seems to be worse when you're running other charting s/w. It's odd because TWS is barebones.

6. kroon1ke

kroon1ke

I have no idea why, but lower memory allocation does actually increase CPU usage by TWS on my PC.

7. I don't know about TWS in general or "this time"... but it's not uncommon for updates to have glitches that cause issues with CPU/RAM. Hopefully IB's techs will figure it out soon and have a new update. (Personally, I don't like frequent software updates. Some are OK, others problematical for a while*. For the most part... any time your computer is "struggling to execute" or you get especially high CPU or RAM usage, it's a software problem.)

A couple of years ago I considered using IB, but TWS would not run on my secondary monitors. It's always something... go figure.

*On my new W10 trading rig, I've delayed "version" updates for 1 year. v1809 had LOTS of problems when released. It's a year old and MSFT is still doing updates on it. I don't care about new "features and capabilities"... I just want the OS to run the software that's important to me without hosing-up.

Lou Friedman likes this.
  8. TommyR

TommyR

cpu rammage + chicom. btw on a serious note you should pay an idian computer guy to come and tune it up. i think you will probabliy be faster and smoother in your code than every hft except 1 just by allocating 2 cpus to it. most underutilise basic kernal tuning, and garbage collection methodologies i heard. im currently using a 1992 vba set up with external 1kb ram pack and its flying.

9. gaussian

gaussian

Lowering memory increases the need to swap to slow disk space, slow disk space has to be accessed, and if it's complicated data for the JVM the CPU probably needs to JIT it before it can be used again.

10. El_Cubano

El_Cubano

Well it's not ram. I have 32gb system ram and 4gb allocated to TWS. Even though it's only using 2.5gb currently

It amazes me how TWS can be fine and stable for a while then every so often it'll just get borked

#10     Oct 15, 2019