Anyone else w/open position due 2 zero notification from IB HKFE closing 4 typhoon?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by gangof4, Aug 10, 2007.

1. gangof4

gangof4

yeah, usually closing BT and reopening works- not tonight. i shut it down 3 or 4 times and i still only saw best B/A much of the day (well, my night)...

#51     Aug 13, 2007
  2. def

def Sponsor

kiwi, sorry no idea. I'll see if possible from programming.

gangof4, I had the booktrader up all day with no issues. By any chance did you have more than 3 BT or market depth windows open? (3 is the max)

herry - As you're in HK, you know the observatory stated the t8 would go up at 3:30. I've been here 13 years and do not recall them ever stating a time they would raise the flag and then move it earlier w/o notice. We confirmed the flag around 2:37 (the exchange posted the time then). We did our best to get out the notification as quickly as possible but do agree that it took us longer than it should have to get out the bulletin. we'll endeavor do better going forward. I also doubt that we'll similar circumstances in the foreseeable future.

robinxing: I guess an acknowledgment that you were wrong won't be forthcoming.

#52     Aug 13, 2007
  3. joesan

joesan

Robinxing

It seems that Steve and Def have done their homework . What do you think of their response? Would you mind post your audit trail?If you really set the stop order to be triggered at 21747, I think you owe IB an apology and should recheck your evidence next time you decide to make a negative comment about someone or some institution.

It amazed me that you just cannot discard your habit of making allegations without checking the related facts in advance. Last time you said in an ET post that I optimize my strategies from time to time, which turned out to be sheer imagination. I warned you then in that post to be careful and base your words on facts, nothing but only facts, thought you had learned something from that already.....

#53     Aug 13, 2007
  4. joesan

joesan

BTW, I think it is absolutely all right to feedback some unsatisfactory portion of IB or any other broker's service. Just like in the original post , it was complained that the IB notification of trade termination was not sent out in time. It was very evident and I believe IB will listen to customer's voice and improve from now on. In another example, I know Kiwi recently spent quite some efforts to report a backfill bug in TWS upgrade, and after sometime last week I am glad to see the bug had been removed in the latest beta version. So base your opinions on facts and be a reasonable man , then the outcome will be mutually beneficial , which leads to a win-win scenario.

#54     Aug 13, 2007
  5. simki

simki

Def, glad to know you are willing to check this out without making us to go thru the hassle of "features poll".....

Some pop-up will be good, else some audio alert would be fine too....

thanks

#55     Aug 13, 2007
  6. >Steve_IB

The same problem of BookTrader showing only best bid/ask 1
    for JGB on TSE has been going on for so long now that I have
    just learned to accept it as the norm.
    If I open BookTrader before the market opens, it will, 9
    times out of ten, show only best bid/ask 1 when the market opens. So what I do is close BT and reopen it once before the
    market opens. 60% of the time it will then show 5 levels at
    the open. If it doesn't, close>reopen. Lately , this has also
    been happening half of the time when the market opens
    after lunch at 12:30

I've written about this, and so have others, on I.B.'s board
    a number of times in the past.

Would you be so kind as to look into this when you have the
    time.

Thank you.

#56     Aug 13, 2007

7. >Steve_IB

Just found this FYI:

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 01:25 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Traders,

We are aware of this issue, and already filed a report regarding it several days ago. I am hoping to have this corrected by the next release. And yes, for now the quick fix is to close the booktrader and then re-open.

-John
    IB TAC

#57     Aug 13, 2007
  8. Def, thanks, an alert/popup/etc would be great.

Joesan, yes the current web version (876.1) provides correct timestamping of the backfill and also works well with the 5 second bars (what I call truedata). My guess is that it will be the downloadable version in a week or so as it seems very solid (I've been using it live since it was released as a 876.0 beta).

And I would like to thank IB for both the true data (where they definitely listened to us) and fixing the backfill time problem (raised on the IB forums). FWIW I did an integration for sierrachart which combines live data to give real time bid/ask average close and new bars with true data to ensure that all highs, lows and prior Os and Cs are correct. Ensign and Qt should be able to do the same. Its fantastic to know that the data I make my trade decisions with is now 100%.

Go4, buttontrader is very good and a number of the people I trade with use it. I use zerolinetrader which has fewer bells and whistles but fits my needs and is much cheaper. I have thought of changing but zlt does most of what I want really well so its not worth the time and risk of relearning.

#58     Aug 13, 2007
  9. joesan

joesan

Second that.

Especially if an incoming flash bulletin can be related to a sound alert, that will be great. If so, hopefully the user can select a custom sound file for that alert. ( Same as that one can select a custom sound file for incident like "order filled","order cancelled" in the sound manager of configuration)

#59     Aug 13, 2007
  10. >Steve_IB

I just noticed that def commented:

"gangof4, I had the booktrader up all day with no issues. By any chance did you have more than 3 BT or market depth windows open? (3 is the max)"

I should have mentioned that if BT opens with 5 levels, or if
    it shows 5 levels after you reopen it, it will maintain those
    5 levels until the close, or in Japan's case, until lunch. So that
    must be why def didn't notice the problem. I have only 1 BT
    window open. And once the 5 levels are shown, it's solid as
    a rock. It's just the initial opening where there's a problem.

Hope this helps.

#60     Aug 13, 2007