Anyone else w/open position due 2 zero notification from IB HKFE closing 4 typhoon?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by gangof4, Aug 10, 2007.

1. IB sometimes really sucks

today when I trade HSI

the real execution price is 17 points greater than

the TS strategy price

and I checked the bar

found the execution price is greater than the high of that bar

#31     Aug 13, 2007
  2. Steve_IB

Steve_IB Interactive Brokers

How is this IB's fault? Care to show your audit trail?

#32     Aug 13, 2007
  3. so what happened?

#33     Aug 13, 2007
  4. gangof4

gangof4

the hedge of 1 STW and 1 ES to per 1 HHIHK was not enough. thankfully, i drew that conclusion and added a third hedge of 1 SGXNK- which is what saved me, as i captured a 195 point move in the SGXNK. unfortunately, i was so eager to get this whole thing past me, that i pretty much captured the worst possible closing price on the HHIHK- ehhh... i'm out. net net though, i ended up marginally ahead due to the SGXNK (and promptly gave it back- but that's another story).

#34     Aug 13, 2007
  5. How is this IB's fault? Care to show your audit trail?

at 12:14 exchange time zone, the executions show buy at 21747

but on the minute bar the high is 21744

and ts strategy price shows 21730

btw it is stop order

#35     Aug 13, 2007
  6. IB doesn't suck ... they're actually an excellent low cost highly automated broker. A question for Steve though --- my bulletins cause TWS's bar to flash but because I don't execute with TWS or chart with TWS I don't see them. Is there a setting to make the bulletins create popups or grab attention somehow without looking at TWS?

For Robin: 12:14 (=16 min before close) ... I have the 1 minute running from L 21736 to H 21757. That minute opened at 43 and was ticking up at the time.

What therefore is a ts strategy price?

Glad to see some positive outcomes Go4 ... I have added the HK weather monitoring site to my favourites but I will probably forget it again given the rarity of such events (and hopefully they will be rarer in future IB :))

#36     Aug 13, 2007
  7. Steve_IB

Steve_IB Interactive Brokers

The 1 minute chart 12:13-12:14 shows a high of 21743. Between 12:14-12:15 it shows a high of 21757. So this is consistent with your fill.

You haven't posted the audit trail. However, doing a search of that price and that time, we only have one execution at 21747 at 12:14 in HSI.

Assuming this is you, then the order that you placed was a stop order at 21,747. Your order was triggered, sent, executed and reported back to you within a second - at a fill of 21,747.

So, everything worked exactly how you sent it....

#37     Aug 13, 2007
  8. def

def Sponsor

I'd like to add to this as well. If indeed you had a stop set to trigger at 21747, you rec'd a superb fill with ZERO slippage - all within a matter of milliseconds. I've attached the bloomberg T&S.

As the facts seem to line up against you, perhaps you'll give some additional thought and research before posting a negative quote about IB or any other broker for that matter. But given that you're an upstanding individual, I'm sure an apology will be forthcoming.

#38     Aug 13, 2007
  9. IB guys ... any thoughts on my question at the end of the first paragraph?

#39     Aug 13, 2007
  10. The typhoon 8 is officially announced at 14:30 (2:30pm). I received the notice about a few mins or so but from another brokerage (not IB). There is more than enough time for me to close trades.

It is denfintely that the message was sent out and many brokerage received it shortly. However it happened that IB didn't. I'm not sure what went wrong between the route.

That is really absurd that IB notify us after the market had been closed already. What a shame!! :(

Another strength about local brokerage. They acted quicker and passed the messages much faster than an international brokerage like IB.

#40     Aug 13, 2007