Anyone else sick of politics?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ang_99, Sep 3, 2008.

1. I'm not a kid or a teen anymore but I do remember those days when I barely knew who was running for president much less care.

Well as an adult, of course now I understand the ramifications of our elected officials and the potential differing paths the usa could take.

But, all I have is 1 vote and not much more.

So, I'm going back to 'not care mode.' I'll vote in November and whoever wins we'll adapt. Its way to frustrating debating about candidates we don't even really know. I don't know shit about JM or BO and neither do any of you. What they tell us means shit. Thats all.

2. Politics is a great measuring tool to use to gauge the mental capacity of an individual.

3. Oh spare us the tears.

You are a republican ticket puncher.

so very obvious.

The only thing you are sick of is your heroine is turning out to be a two-bit shyster.

4. ang,

don't you think that the whole US presidential election process is so much geared about emotions, and therefore it is also so draining to participate?

It's not like they are trying to solve any problems - they just want you on their side and ultimately your vote. If they were focusing on important issues and how to solve these - you would have much more the sense of accomplishment, and that you are contributing to positive change, don't you think?
    :)

It also seems like the republicans are masking the issues a bit more with emotions, maybe since the latest presidency is the most unpopular in US history.

5. Mercor

Mercor

Back in the 70's Edmund Muskie running in a primary and cried while giving a speech. It was viewed as weakness and he withdrew.

At the Democratic covention all I saw was people saying how good each night was based on how often they cried.

Hasn't all this hugging gotten out of controll. Why can't I just shake your hand.

6. Exactly!

7. With politics you're mostly debating with yourself. Catch my drift?

8. W4rl0ck

W4rl0ck

Back in the day I hear they used to have that seperation of powers thing.

Now that's gone and you're basically "electing" a king every 4 years who can do anything they damn well please so the election is more important.

9. A very good point!

The European monarchies are almost all seen as "symbolic", without any political power or great influence - it is purely emotional and as a unifying force for the population - national pride even.

This is a fundamental difference between the USA and Europe nowadays - the US president is this unifying symbol, but also has political power and thus mix all these emotions with political direction and strategy.

When a president is elected somewhere, he is this "unifier" first and foremost for the nation. Then after he has finished his term, he goes on enjoying privileges as a continuing symbol for the nation - and is paid for making speeches and basically rallying up emotions...

Some countries have the presidential role as more symbolic and with less political impact. I think that is a very good thing, if even needed at all.

10. Once Ron Paul failed to garner support

I have tuned out all

#10     Sep 4, 2008