Anyone else get negative response when you explain career?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Kastro_316, May 12, 2005.

1. I normally don't talk about it.

I learned my lesson when I was a pro poker player/gambler.

"What do you do?"

"I play cards, mostly."

Blank stares. Lot's of "Oh." Like I'm some sort of degenerate. Like I'm some broke-ass hobo with his last $5 at a craps table.

They didn't get it. They don't really get trading either. I would recommend you don't tell people you want to be a trader. Don't mention it. Wait until you're successful and then say it. If they act like a dick tell em how much you made. That tends to shut people up.

#11     May 13, 2005
  2. nike

nike

with poker being so popular. successful card players are treated like stars. maybe someone should start a daytrading tornoument...just a thought.

#12     May 13, 2005
  3. mogul

mogul

only problem is luck strikes people more often in poker than in trading...

#13     May 13, 2005
  4. So, you lie?

#14     May 13, 2005
  5. danielc1

danielc1

I don't see it as a lie. I do the same work as an investment banker and I work for my own corporation that is setup to invest in other corporation or financial instruments with its own capital. The same as an investment bank. Where do you see the lie?

#15     May 13, 2005
  6. First off when anybody asks you what you do for a living chances are they want to tell you what they do. Ego! And unless they donate 100% of their time to charity or the church I would promptly tell them to fuck off if they had an issue...nobody works for free.
    Bottom line is who cares what other people think? As an 30 year floor trader for BSC once told me "if trading is in your blood you will never do anything else" and if it`s truly in your blood then accept and embrace it!!!

#16     May 13, 2005
  7. yeah. everyone thinks you're a useless greedy b*stard leach. they don't understand that market makers make markets possible and without us it would be back to the caves.

#17     May 13, 2005
  8. ECNs ?

#18     May 13, 2005
  9. buylo

buylo

Most common response:

ME: "I'm a trader."

DOUCHEBAG: "Trainer?"

ME: "No. Trader. I daytrade bonds."

DOUCHEBAG: "ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh!"

Then they either:

A) Walk away.

B) Talk my ear off.

#19     May 13, 2005
  10. I'd have to agree, for these people there is only one measure of success, a showing of wealth. You don't have to flaunt it, just show them it is there.

With trading, you are either really really smart, or really really stupid in end. In other words, you either made money or you lost it all.

#20     May 13, 2005