anyone daytrade the ZF (5 YR Note)? It seems pretty weak

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by increasenow, Feb 3, 2011.

1. bone

bone

I took profit on half of my TuT position at 9:30 am Central time. Remainder of the bid still working below.

#31     Feb 23, 2011
  2. i didn't take enough out of my short zf flys before getting trapped in ty flys and giving back my day and a bit more- o well not gonna see these extremes everyday *hopefully* (or if we do i'll have to start betting on them more)

#32     Feb 23, 2011
  3. bone

bone

I'm wearing the GE Z1-Z2 for a couple tics in here...

model still has me short. I shouldn't piss and moan about it given the TuT's payoff. Come to think of it, when was the last time I had a trade that was green start to finish ?

#33     Feb 23, 2011
  4. took my loss on 1/3 of my ty fly's 30 min's ago, hoping after taking a bite out of me they'll move it a bit back for me to take the loss on the other 2/3 but hasn't happened so far, exiting another 1/3 in the next 10 min and then will hold the rest til 330ish central

edit: out 2/3 now, ty fly should bounce a couple prices from here over next hour- they always do once i dump my share

double edit: with the amount of fits the market bought between yesterday and todays action i'm inclined to think we just hit the top of this rally- but with my permabear mentality i also think the stock market could drop 40% in the next two months which would mean we are in for an interesting rally- perhaps a strengthening rally?

#34     Feb 23, 2011
  5. bone

bone

I had a buy in the NoB late yesterday that I was looking for some confirmation follow-through on this morning - that never materialized. Good thing I covered half the TuT at 9:30 am because the GE Z1-Z2 and the TuT both subsequently moved against me (higher). Got short the TuT the 14th, so the sting from the GE is a bit subdued.

Personally, I think the FYT has been a choppy mess worth ignoring past couple months. Eurex has been good. Real good.

#35     Feb 23, 2011
  6. i love choppy messes :p

but seriously, they don't buy that many fits and have a weak nob to boot in a rally unless some massive ty positions are being unloaded-- somebody really believes the stock market will bounce back and pressure rates up again.

#36     Feb 23, 2011
  7. I took a .0250 loss in the 5yr today...if you were to suggest the most basic spread (to daytrade) with the least amount of contracts...what would it be? using 2,5,10, 30 yrs?

#37     Feb 23, 2011
  8. well least amount of contracts moves you out further on the curve- the simplest balanced one would be a zb fly -2 ub, +6 zb, -5 zn

although someone posted earlier questioning the validity of the cme provided spread ratios- so maybe there is an easier one.

personally i wouldn't trade flys unless you can put atleast 3 units on, and with that one you'd have 18 zb and i've seen that fly move from top to bottom of an intraday move ~10k if you had all 3 units on, so keep that in mind- not always easy to take small losses on the zb fly because both zb and ub move in full tics, and ub is like a ghost when you need liquidity.

#38     Feb 23, 2011
  9. thanks very much for your insight...what about an intra month spread of the same contract? Example: buy March ZN and sell June ZN??...or are intra months of same contract best on Eurodollar?

#39     Feb 23, 2011
  10. not my playground- can't give you any advice there

out of my last at 3:15- all basically at the same price, surprising

#40     Feb 23, 2011