Anyone daytrade or swingtrade ES options?

Discussion in 'Options' started by increasenow, Aug 29, 2008.

1. ammo

ammo

dmo, you are probably right,i am sure it's changed since 87,i just don't know what that is,the $4500 is set by the sec or some other governing board

#31     Aug 31, 2008
  2. dmo

dmo

Actually I think it changes all the time based on volatility. I never used to pay attention to it, but I think it used to be lower - maybe $2000 per contract?

Under span rules those parameters are set by the exchange (CME in this case).

#32     Aug 31, 2008
  3. I would imagine my euro example should only be like couple hundred bucks..aggre?only couple days till expiration..that must factor in...also...cant see my ES example being $4,500..should be like $800...hmmm...4500 seems high

#33     Aug 31, 2008
  4. Didn't even know it was possible to really day trade options (unless you are a bot monkey and are simply making markets).

I was always wondering what those guys did that trade options upstairs? Do they just put on positions and hold them or are they simply watching their automated programs? Are they just trying to leg boxes, jelly rolls, etc all day?

I know there is a ton to do when you are on the floor but it seems like there would be very very little demand for upstairs options day traders.

Please correct me if im wrong

YT

#34     Aug 31, 2008
  5. ammo

ammo

you can use the momentum of the market to leg into sprds at great prices and you can scalp,the es options are usually a couple hundred up with a 1/2 point bid ask sprd.,you can often get filled in the middle,hard to sell offers or buy bids unless it moves into your resting order. the options provide a lot of ways to position yourself with small risk

#35     Aug 31, 2008
  6. I wonder why all of the options markets aren't completely electronic?

If es options are doing so well fully electronic I wonder why there is still such volume in the other futures options pits you know?

Does es have a big spread market or is it mainly just outright puts and calls?

#36     Aug 31, 2008
  7. dmo

dmo

The simulation SPAN runs is for the next day only. Margin is set based on the risk of what will happen the next day. So in that sense the 6 days remaining doesn't matter. It does matter however in that an option with just 6 days remaining has very little vega - so the vega component of the risk will be small.

#37     Aug 31, 2008
  8. thanks...do you know a website that lists out and describes all the various futures options strategies?example:straddle,strangle,credit bear spread...

#38     Aug 31, 2008
  9. ammo

ammo

haven't looked at it but the cboe should have a lot of data,options monster,think or swim,cbot

#39     Aug 31, 2008
  10. there should be a "user friendly" website that would provide the SPAN for a given option that is sold...someone has got to offer that for free and you just go to the website and "Click"...any thoughts?

#40     Aug 31, 2008