Anyone daytrade or swingtrade ES options?

Discussion in 'Options' started by increasenow, Aug 29, 2008.

1. dmo

dmo

I don't think there's any easy way to do it except to buy the span program for some $500. Then every night you download the span file provided by the exchange and the program will use that to calculate your margin. It's not a simple calculation because it's based on risk - what will happen in a worst-case scenario - and the exchange (and your broker) determine what that is. Without knowing what they've determined is a "worst-case scenario" for the next day, you cannot calculate the margin requirement.

I think the way it works is the exchange first determines a worst-case scenario, and the minimum margin is based on that. Then your broker has the option of setting even higher margin requirements, but cannot set less.

#21     Aug 30, 2008
  2. dmo thanks for this detail, I did not know that futures options were still pit traded, just assumed since ES was electronic then the options would be as well. One question tho if there is settlement each day then why is there no "cash" settlement in my account as there is with ES (marked to market each day and cash settled + or -)? tia

#22     Aug 31, 2008
  3. This makes sense then, on my TOS platform they do provide an explaination on the margin (futures) but its all "greek" to me :D

#23     Aug 31, 2008
  4. ammo

ammo

i think the es options are 100% electronic but i'm not sure,increase now,anything you short can go to infinity so there is huge margi req,anything your long can go to zero so the marg is the purchase price,es options are worth $5o a point ,where as stock options are $100,long 1 es future short 1 es call is an overnight hedge and reduces your margin,long the 1300 calls and short the 1320's is a 20 dollar sprd so your margin would be 2k on a 1 lot,then cut it in half because it's a $50 dollar per point option,you can also hedge with spx options which are $100 a point,i prefer the es because the bid/ask is so much tighter,i use tos and i am not able to enter sprd orders,they are working on that,until then i have to leg in and leg out,you could also sell the deep in the money call sprds if your bearish for $8 on a $ 10 sprd,your margin would only be $2,cut in half

#24     Aug 31, 2008
  5. dmo

dmo

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear - the ES options ARE traded exclusively on the electronic. There is no such thing as an e-mini futures pit or options pit. I just meant to say that generally speaking - looking at all futures options contracts (crude, gold, soybeans, etc.) - there is still a very healthy number of options traded on the floor. Not in the ES though.

#25     Aug 31, 2008
  6. thanks ammo & dmo:)

#26     Aug 31, 2008
  7. dmo

dmo

One additional thought for Increasenow - if you don't want to spend the $500 for the SPAN program, perhaps you could get around it with a little extra effort.

At every exchange there is someone whose job it is to set the risk parameters for SPAN (worst case scenario). If you can get hold of that person he should be willing to simply tell you what those parameters are. I think it just consists of maximum move up or down of the underlying and maximum move up or down of IV. Then with your software, you could simply calculate what is the most you could lose - and that should be your margin.

You would need to verify with SPAN or with that exchange that it is indeed that simple - that they don't add an additional "fudge factor" of say 2%. And you'd have to verify with your broker that they use the SPAN minimum margin and do not impose additional margin.

BTW, those SPAN files are available for public download. Once you figure this out you could possibly look into the SPAN files every day for the risk parameters, so you wouldn't need to keep calling the exchange.

#27     Aug 31, 2008
  8. thanks guys for your time and input...really appreciate it...for examples sake:

Okay, here are a few...

#1-CME Globex Euro options expire this saturday (6 days)...what if you sold one 1.4300 put this past friday and it closed at $100.00 per option this past friday...what would the margin requirement be possibly?

#2-ES options Sept expire 21 days...what if you sold one 1180 put at fridays close price of $107.50...what would the margin requirement be possibly?

#28     Aug 31, 2008
  9. ammo

ammo

after the 87 crash ,they changed the margin to estimate worst case scenario ,a 500 point dow move,thats 7 or 8 points of dow is 1 point in the spu's,that number floats but thats roughly the ratio,so thats 12- 14 spu points for every 100 dow,so your margin would be rougly a 60 -72 point spu move you could just enter an order 5 points higher where you won't be filled and see how your margin acct changes

#29     Aug 31, 2008
  10. dmo

dmo

When I trade ES futures, my software docks me $4500 for each contract long or short. That would seem to imply a worst case scenario of 90 points up or down.

#30     Aug 31, 2008