Anyone buying short ETF's ?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by united_forces, Jun 21, 2020.

1. I understand zero interest rates and lack of yield but damn, these valuations / forward looking p/e's are absurd. Im looking at this as a double top.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Very successfully in February and March. Very unsuccessfully in April and May.

If S&P gets back under 3000 I will trade them aggressively again.

Very risky and not for holding more than a few days

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  3. %%
    Plan on it; not yet/ they will hurt you bad if too early or late/ 3x long is much different/assume a good uptrend=usually correct.

KCalhoun likes this.
  4. Nobert

Nobert

Simple law of supply and demand.

When everyone wants something and there's not enough of it, things become expensive.

Given the money out of the thin air times that we live in and US being, sort of a safe heaven, to park the money in, for reasonable returns (since bonds are for idiots, just as the Buffet said),

the valuations might be the new norm.

5. guru

guru

These ETFs are designed to lose value over time, so buying them is like spending money on insurance - you have to refill it regularly, until one day you may be able to cash out.
    Not worth it unless your timing is great.

murray t turtle and KCalhoun like this.
  6. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Exactly. Long odds but huge upside when markets drop. Better for daytrading than swings, I daytraded TVIX TZA last week

guru likes this.
  7. %%
    OK I agree; but Dow tends o be such an underperformer/look out below.Or as Joe Kennedy/sec commissioner in yester year noted,
    beware of bear
    :caution::caution:,:D:D:D:D:D:D:D .ept selloffs can be fierce.
    QQQ above 200dma/superstrong/ DAL weak+went bankrupt with no virus/may go bankrupt again...………………………………………………………………………………...

Nobert likes this.
  8. old coot

old coot

Logic would dictate that shorting the leveraged short etf's like SQQQ during an up move would pay better than going long during a selloff. Conversely, if there are leveraged long etf's like TQQQ, you may be better off shorting them during a selloff. The easiest thing to do would look at them and figure their move based on the QQQ move, and see for yourself which pays better. SQQQ long, or TQQQ short.

KCalhoun and guru like this.
  9. tje SQQQ is what i was looking at.

10. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

SQQQ SOXS the most sold off bc tech strength re covid.. .. I'm thinking best plays during selloff are SPXS SDOW TZA/SRTY UVXY for swings

#10     Jun 21, 2020