Anyone an electrical contractor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WinstonTJ, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Good news is this is essentially like an attic space or huge loft with sloped walls so the room does not have any plumbing issues. Also since only the interior is finished its easy to add as many layers of sheet rock as needed.

I ran the wires and cut holes in the walls for the electrical outlets. I have an uncle who is a licensed electrician so I'll have everything laid out and then he can come do the final hookups.

They ran a second line from the pole today so the apartment will have two electrical meters and two circuit breakers - one for us and one for the business. Things are actually easier that way.

Pics to come...

#11     Jun 13, 2012
  2. There is a major difference TJ:

If you miswired something inside your i7 computer, no big deal. Those are low voltage wires. Maybe something doesn't work. At the extreme case you blow your computer power supply. You have a box dead in the water.

But if you miswired some 110V or 220V wires in your house, think of the possibilities: get electrocuted and die... or start a fire which can burn down your house... :D

I wouldn't touch those with a 10-foot pole. Literally!

I think it is better letting the trained, licensed, bonded electricians do these works. It's great you have your uncle. You are going to invite him to your Christmas dinner right? :)

#12     Jun 13, 2012
  3. 15 and 20 amp circuits are standard in residential construction for outlets. if you use 20amp circuits (yellow 12 gauge wire)and calculate how much amperage you will use then you can run as many 20 amp circuits as you need to carry the load. each circuit will require a separate breaker so if you dont have any available spots in your main panel you will need to run a subpanel off your main panel. that sounds like it may be beyond your capabilities although its not that hard if you are familiar with electric wiring.

#13     Jun 13, 2012