Anyone actually make living from trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by trade5656, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

This thread without geographical location is meaningless...

I am a mid-20s bachelor living with my parents in Vietnam. I don't have a job, but I am making $700 per month with TST, and that is 4 times better than the average Vietnamese salary. I only trade 4 hours after the US markets open. As you can imagine, I am king with the bitches and instead of a moped, I have a Nissan Versa. I am happy with my life and I have lots of friends because I usually pay in the pubs.*

*the story is not entirely true, but it could be and very uplifting (as per request)

#61     Feb 5, 2017
    johnnyrock likes this.
  2. ironchef

ironchef

Good point. Why?

Youtube video going viral can make him some money? That I can understand but why on ET? There is no apparent payoff.

Regards,

#62     Feb 5, 2017
  3. 777

Very few

The big winners mostly are too busy to post in forums

The few that grace the forums are not giving out their proprietary methods thar are working "Now"

Sometimes you get details of what used to work, like SOES Banditry

#63     Feb 5, 2017
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  4. Vindago

Vindago

There is something that works on any market that works now will work in the future and surely enough would have worked in the past. No edge just simple observation

#64     Feb 5, 2017
  5. algofy

algofy

I believe certain strategies, given a high enough sample rate, will perform positively past and present DURING similar market condition. If the market is in a 10 price increment range for an extended period of time that breakout strategy just won't work while a mean reverting strategy would likely work very well.

#65     Feb 5, 2017
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

My point was that people like to do stupid shit without obvious rewards. Sometimes just for the heck of it or because they have a need to express themselves... The reward isn't always monetary...

#66     Feb 5, 2017
  7. algofy

algofy

Amen...got that T shirt.

#67     Feb 5, 2017
  8. It's a percentage game and not a lottery. If you can live on 20% return, you're ahead of the game. This is where size matters, it all depends on the size of your account. If you have 30k account and think you can earn a living trading, good luck. It won't happen. Now if you have a 300k account, and trade on the sell side using puts, assignment, and calls, you have a very good chance of making 20-30%. That's an average salary according to gov stats rolling out of bed and trading for a few hours per day. Limited risk if you know how to trade this game.

#68     Feb 5, 2017
  9. A lot of people forget that not everybody live in the US. There are places where average salary is 5k$ a year and you can make decent living from 50k account.

#69     Feb 5, 2017
  10. ironchef

ironchef

A good trader won't do that because risk reward just does not justify.:D

I enjoyed reading your posts. Best wishes.

#70     Feb 5, 2017