Anyone actually make living from trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by trade5656, Jan 29, 2017.

1. sle

sle

On a contrary, I am a loser and I am struggling!!

I think too many people concentrate on "win or lose" here. In finance, you don't have to be the winner, this not a fucking "Apprentice". You just need to get to some reasonable metrics on your own utility curve. For example, take a guy doing something or other quantitative in his retirement account. Even though he just slightly improves his returns over holding SPY, he might be able to retire a few years earlier. In my mind, he's a winner.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    #91     Feb 9, 2017
  2. Haha! The obvious answer is the correct one. Even some of the most respected and popular vendors are bending the truth to cater to their subscribers and keep them engaged...

I used to think that I would be interested in teaching people how to figure the market out once I was really doing well. The truth is, my ego was searching for confirmation that I knew what I was doing. When my system was proven, once I had statistical data to back up my approach, and especially when I was trading my plan with confidence, my goal quickly became to get away from the computer as quickly as possible to be with my family and friends.

I have taught one person my strategy, and that was because he offered to help me code what I do to help automate it if possible. We've ended up becoming partners in way, and it's made trading a lot more fun. Aside from that, I'm more interested in taking my dog for walk instead of editing together webinars and posting charts.

#92     Feb 9, 2017
    johnnyrock and Pekelo like this.
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

And that is the true meaning of life....

#93     Feb 9, 2017
    bigsnack and sle like this.
  4. drcha

drcha

The point of #2 is to convince oneself. #3 is probably a variation on that theme by people who believe they are elevated when bashing others.

Appreciate the kind words, but don't call me sir because I'm a woman!

#94     Feb 10, 2017
  5. drcha

drcha

I disagree. There are people who will help you. There is no reason not to help people. The vast majority of them won't do what you suggest anyway, so it's not as if they are going to get in front of you. Many people have helped me in my life, with many things, and often not for monetary gain.

#95     Feb 10, 2017
    johnnyrock, Srkisrle and ironchef like this.
  6. ironchef

ironchef

Sorry, my apology.

Best wishes.

#96     Feb 12, 2017
  7. ironchef

ironchef

You made some very good points but I don't agree with some of your conclusions. Let me explain.

Yes, no one will give you a recipe on how to make money. But most posters here are friendly and will help if you have a specific problem/issue. There will always be a few #2 and #3 but why get upset since you will benefit so much more from advice by so many others?

Another point, I often asked questions on the basics (and subtleties) of the instruments I traded and benefitted greatly. This site has some very experience and successful traders.

Best wishes.

#97     Feb 12, 2017
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  8. Thanks ironchef,

I was not talking about ET members, i love ET members. This is the best site on earth. i was talking about the vendors and previous systems I get burnt from and lose the money.

Thanks,

#98     Feb 12, 2017
  9. ironchef

ironchef

In that case you mom was correct.

However, just like ET, you buy and read books not to get their "profit recipe" but to understand the basic working elements of trading, especially trading options.

As for trading systems and vendors, all my friends' experiences were the same as yours. Personally I have not directly seen or heard any success story yet.

Best to you.

#99     Feb 12, 2017
    SimpleMeLike and lawrence-lugar like this.
  10. Thanks ironchef,

My quest for the holy grail of trading is over. I am the holy grail and whatever data I have. I read the books for directions and methods of doing things and knowledge. It's no different then college books reading. I have to take all the trading books and see what I can do. And track what I do.

Yes, no sucess story yet for me either. The only sucess story I had is when I stop using them.

#100     Feb 13, 2017