Anybody try Wim Hof method for meditation/breathing?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by tango29, Jan 1, 2020.

1. easymon1

easymon1

F*ck That: An Honest Meditation

#11     Feb 12, 2020
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
  2. easymon1

easymon1

3. ElCubano

ElCubano

Focusing on the breathe is at the core. Focus on the breathe , the mind will follow, that in turn will eventually take you to rest and digest state.

One breathing technique I often start my meditation with actually speeds up the breathe. Breath of fire, google all the benefits. Takes 2-5 min.

#13     Feb 16, 2020
  4. tango29

tango29

I'm still working on both the breathe and hold and silent meditation. After over 3 months I'm finding more of a benefit mentally from the silent meditation. I'm finding my hold times are actually decreasing as of late with the Wim Hof method. I don't believe I'm doing anything different, but overall seeing the hold times dropping by 15 to 20 seconds each across all three reps. I'm wondering if allergies maybe affecting me on this aspect of the technique. I hate taking allergy meds, but am debating as so far this season seems to be really bothering me. I may try 2 weeks of over the counter meds and see if that changes the hold times. Beyond that I really don't feel any more at peace or a sense of calm after the Wim Hof method and I do feel different after doing the silent meditation.
    On another note I am still starting the day with full cold showers, and I do feel pretty good afterward. On the weekends if I have yard work or am going to be doing a lot around the house I'll wait until I'm done to shower and usually start with a hot shower. After rinsing off I switch over to full cold, and start with my head under as the cold comes on to full effect. I can say that for me I have a feeling of total panic doing it this way. I assume it's the same feeling as someone falling into a frozen river or the like. I immediately try the deep breathing and force myself to stay under and work to calm myself. I know the cold is coming and I'm standing in my shower yet the feeling is as close to terror as I can describe. I guess I'm just a wimpy dude, but I do make it through and stay in for a few minutes.

#14     Apr 12, 2020
  5. I have not heard about this, but it would be interesting to try

#15     Apr 13, 2020
  6. tango29

tango29

Thought I'd throw out an update, not that it matters to anyone but me. My meditation took a hit over the summer with a lot going on at home. I was only getting in 2 to 3 times a week, whereas my goal is to take time each day. Closer to back on track now with roughly 5 days a week of both quiet meditation and the Wim Hof breathing technique. I have experienced a couple of moments of what I would consider lucid dreaming while in the quiet meditation. Kind of strange, but I would say somewhat a spiritual experience, as weird as that may sound.
    I have only missed 2 days of cold showers since I first posted here. Most mornings I do start with warm water, and then go to full cold for roughly 3 to 5 minutes of time. I haven't done an ice bath yet, but I did jump in Lake Michigan for New Years day. Swam out a ways and dove under for full effect. Holy crap, I forgot about the feeling of walking on stumps back to the van, and it was about a half mile walk.
    I wish I had journaled from day one for my own reference, but I am going to make an effort to start doing so now.

#16     Nov 12, 2021
    Frederick Foresight likes this.