Anybody trading mini Dow with IB?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Marvin Zark, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Hi

Is anybody trading mini Dows with IB (YJ 2$ YM 5$)?

I have tried to enter an order to see if it is working but I receive a msg saying "ORDER REJECTED.NO TRADING permissions. ACCOUNT REQUIRED". Does anybody know why I am receiving this msg? I don't have any problem passing orders for other ACE products as electronic Bonds or Notes, so I don't see why I receive this msg for mini Dow...

Any remark, experiences regarding trading the emini Dow?

Regards

Marvin

2. def

def Sponsor

FYI....

IN SUMMARY
    CBOT® mini-sized Dow SM Futures ($5 multiplier) will be listed for trading at 8:15 p.m. on
    April 4, 2002 (trade date April 5, 2002).

Regular a/c/e trading hours are from 8:15 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Chicago time, Sunday through Friday.

In addition, at the launch of the CBOT® mini-sized Dow SM Futures ($5 multiplier) the currently traded CBOT® Dow Futures (symbol ZD) and Options (symbol OZD) trading hours will be modified. The new trading hours for the CBOT® Dow Futures (symbol ZD) and Options (symbol OZD) will be 8:15 p.m. - 7:00 a.m.

3. You are very helpfull

4. Would be nice, if IB allows to subscribe to CBOT Mini-Contracts ONLY (instead of all ACE contracts).
    CBOT does not charge exchange fees for their mini-contract quotes. So why pay 30 $ if I only want Mini-Dow quotes ?

5. def

def Sponsor

the CBOT fee holiday is only temporary. i'll make the recommendation but i think it is just a matter of how much programming time needs to be allocated to set it up in relation to the expected amount of revenue.

On a personal note: do you think this product with such a small multiplier is going to succeed?

I'm also curious to how wide the spreads will be. As the dow is a price weighted index it can move very sharply on just a few ticks on 1-2 stocks. Thus I would guess wider spreads. Then again, everyone follows the Dow so could be popular with the masses. As I'll be hitting the sack while this trades tomorrow, i'd appreciate if someone commented on the debut.

6. With TS6 (Tradestation) I now have Charts and Times&Sales, but cannot trade with IB (no quotes).
    Spread seems to be 2 to 5 points for YM (YMM02) and trades about 20 cpm (contracts per minute).

Would be ok for me, there REALLY seem to be market makers for this contract ! :)