Anybody trading LEAP options?

Discussion in 'Options' started by short&naked, Jan 26, 2009.

1. The LEAP can be used as a surrogate instead of buying the actual stock. You can get a LEAP for about 30% of what the actual stock purchase would have cost you. With the B/A spread so high it is not a very good instrument for trading , as stated above.
    But if you want to use them as an income generator buy one a couple strikes ITM, then sell a current month call, one or two strikes OTM. I would only do this when the stock that I buy the LEAP for is at a Yearly low or at a major suport level. Did this a couple times and worked out.

#11     Jan 27, 2009
  2. PLEASE. PLEASE.

The singular form of the term LEAPS is LEAPS.

It it an acronym and that acronym is always 5-letter long.

Long Term Equity AnticiPation Series

Mark

#12     Jan 27, 2009
  3. spindr0

spindr0

LOL. I would never waste my time on an open position for a penny.
    But then again, it's your time :)

#13     Jan 27, 2009
  4. spindr0

spindr0

Technically, for most of these peeps it is a LEAP (of faith) into a LEAPS option.

#14     Jan 27, 2009
  5. Yes I sell insurance to scared investors, just doing my civic duty.

I hedge by keeping a diversified portfolio of puts or calls (or both), and I am very careful about risk management and I carefully calculate the values of all contracts to squeeze out the most buck and give myself the most room to maneuver. I also have a large cash warchest, I do not use margin.

Anyhow I was able to get my orders filled for one penny less :) it took about two hours to fill, I am real stingy and will try to squeeze that last penny out of the deal :)

The last few trades ended up 4 cents higher after I bought to close.

Anyhow options writing, think of it more from an actuary's perspective. More like selling auto insurance ie: GEICO etc..

#15     Jan 27, 2009
  6. Or a LEAP into profits with LEAPS :)

#16     Jan 27, 2009
  7. I notice things like that too. For instance:

Try FedEx Express (try Federal Express Express?)

Order a PCB board (Order a Printed Circuit Board board)

I need your vehicle's VIN number. (I need your vehicle's Vehicle Identification Number number)

#17     Jan 27, 2009
  8. Euler

Euler

You are right, of course, but why care so much? The very need for the distinction between LEAPS and non-LEAPS options is due to the almost comical brokenness of the present symbology. With any luck (or maybe A LOT of luck :D), they will have it fixed within a year or two.

http://www.theocc.com/initiatives/symbology/default.jsp

#18     Jan 27, 2009
  9. I am already used to the way things are. :)

We can change all our keyboards to dvorak layout as well.

#19     Jan 27, 2009
  10. zdreg

zdreg

I do think of it from an "actuary perspective " but still wonder how you are capable of evaluating risk besides diversifying your portfolio.

#20     Jan 28, 2009