Anybody trading 100+ SPX options per order

Discussion in 'Options' started by DutchMan, Jun 27, 2008.

1. nitro

nitro

It is not that you will receive better or worse quotes as that would be illegal - the quoted price is the same. The difference is that no one will bother with a 10 lot unless they get more edge or you get really lucky, which is why your order will end up in the book and eventually fills when a MM hits your order for lots more edge. If you raise your size to 100, someone may fill you, but it won't be at a better price than if it were a 10 lot or 2000 lot. BTW, 100 is small. The point is, if you send in small orders through a broker like IB, the smaller your size the more on mid or even the other side of mid you have to be to fill with a MM. When you are trading small size, it is sometimes other retail traders you are often trading with.

You answered your own question. Sometime, go down to the CBOE floor, stand next to the IWM/RUT/NDX pit [they are essentialy one pit] and then go to the S pit. It is not even close. The demand is so great for the S, the CBOE was going to swap the S into the OEX pit because the OEX pit is bigger and there is no one in there. For some reason, that was halted.

nitro

#41     Jun 29, 2008
  2. FT79

FT79

What kind of size is " required " to get descent fills (spreads). I thought 100 lots per leg was ok because it's approx. the average trade size for SPX. Could you give some tips to get a nice executions on SPX? with all the stories I have read it's rather difficult :D

#42     Jun 29, 2008
  3. nitro

nitro

I can't answer all your questions since I have to get back to work. Seriously, call XFA or Lakeshore, and ask them these questions.

Spreads are probably easier to fill as a retail trader. Study the COB and RFQs.

nitro

#43     Jun 29, 2008
  4. Just to add to what nitro posted, I do a ton of SPX business with XFA, they’re an excellent group.

IMO, as someone who does a lot of business in the SPX its not really a product for the retail guy, you’re better off using a similar product with electronic access. As was mentioned it’s the last of the really big contracts which is not multi listed. The S and P has a licenses with the CBOE which so far has kept it from being multi listed.

Someone else mentioned things like the Q’s and one other, they’re nice broad market indexes which are much more retail oriented. The ISE surpassed the CBOE in volume a few years back and the PHLX is eating into the CBOE’s number 2 status.

The Q’s were originally a single listed product on the AMEX and that’s when it was fat city to be a MM In the Q’s.

#44     Jun 29, 2008
  5. MTE

MTE

ES is $25 per point, while SPX is $100 so a spread of 0.50 in ES is the same as the spread of 2.00 in SPX.

#45     Jun 30, 2008
  6. ES is $50 a point, but the dollar value per point does not matter.

A 15.75/16.25 spread is always better than a 15.00/17.00 spread.

#46     Jun 30, 2008
  7. MTE

MTE

Right, 50, sorry.

#47     Jun 30, 2008
  8. who trades at bid/ask anyway? enter a limit order somewhere in between and you'll get a fill.

the best product depends on your trading strategy. you should try all of them (spx, spy and es) and see what's best for you. obviously if spy & es were the end-all, then spx wouldn't be around but it's still here and i believe it's still the top option in dollar volume in the u.s.

#48     Jun 30, 2008
  9. You won't get a fill on your limit order until the market moves against you and the market makers can make a profit.

#49     Jun 30, 2008
  10. Thats the basic premis in options market making no matter what the product. Naturally in the SPX its looser since its a single listed product.

No market maker in any product is looking to just trade for fair value.

#50     Jun 30, 2008