Anybody trades options without any greek letter?

Discussion in 'Options' started by OddTrader, Jul 2, 2009.

1. wayneL

wayneL

Just asking the question out of interest matey, not looking for an argument.

But to answer your questions.

1/ I find it helps in my trading.

2/ Yes, but again, I would map that out in my head and have a sense of what my risks and rewards were Greek-wise.

But that's just me. If others don't, no skin off my nose.

#31     Jul 28, 2009
  2. Greeks are for RISK MANAGEMENT.

That's the point most people miss. Greeks help manage risk. they do not make buy/sell/hold decisions.

It has nothing to do with 'playing the long or short side.'

Mark
    http://blog.mdwoptions.com

#32     Jul 28, 2009
  3. donnap

donnap

Yes, it is possible - with experience.

For example - with vertical spreads greeks are not as important as with some of the other strategies. Your experience should tell you if something is out of whack with the pricing (volatility skew).

Just get the direction and magnitude of that direction correct, and have a plan for closing and viola = profit.:D

With experience, you would find that you are using at least some of the greeks without necessarily naming them.

#33     Jul 28, 2009
  4. dagnyt clarified my point well. Greeks show your risk exposure and little else.

#34     Jul 28, 2009
  5. taowave

taowave

hi Wayne,
    I apologise if you took my responce as aggressive..
    It was not intended as such.My point is for some it is very important to have all the greeks quantified,but for others a simple stop works just as well.It certainly helps simplify things..

After years of trading on derivative desks,I rarely look at greeks if trading directionally.
    (I do look at the full alphabit if trading a dispersion type strategy)
    Since I set stops,I really couldnt care less if I was wrong directionally,vol or any other sensitivity.

I am all for whatever gives one a comfort level in trading.

#35     Jul 28, 2009
  6. taowave

taowave

Verticals are a great example of trading without greeks..

Buy a 10 point vertical for 2 ,and you immediately know your risk reward..You should also have some price in mind where the risk reward shifts against you and you may consider liquidating..

Being a good direction trader certainly makes option trading alot simpler

#36     Jul 28, 2009
  7. this thread is retarded and for a lazy trader...............if youre gonna just go directional you need to know the deltas at a minimum........dont be lazy, use the greeks

#37     Jul 28, 2009
  8. wayneL

wayneL

No worries Taowave,

I was just interested if you (and others) might have a "picture" of them, even if only subconciously.

Cheers

#38     Jul 28, 2009
  9. Good discussion.

Comment 1:
    Greeks give you interesting and sometimes valuable information about you position. Why not use them? If you have a decent broker, you will have it all at your fingertips anyway without a vast amount of effort. Ignorance is NOT bliss.

Comment2:
    Greeks are always dynamically changing in response to market conditions. IV may be rising or falling. Time is always marching on. Prices are usually moving upward or downward. Don't think they are static, or assume your position is safe because the Greeks were fine yesterday.

Comment3: I sometimes chuckle when I see Greeks calculated to four decimal places. In real life, they're no where near that precise or powerful!

#39     Jul 28, 2009
  10. Perhaps, to some traders, "The Greeks" are just market noises, simply a manufactured product of market manipulation, in order to mislead the faint-mind players! :D

More decisions to make, more errors/ mistakes can be made! :D

Comments?

#40     Jul 28, 2009