Anybody on the Zone diet, and taking huge doses of fish oil?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Math_Wiz, Mar 14, 2013.

1. NoDoji

NoDoji

Hi Wiz,

I posted about this on another thread a while back.

Although a bit less dangerous than Atkins' diet, the Zone diet isn't anti-inflammatory. Animal-based foods, oils, and refined grains and sugars are highly inflammatory and contribute to the development of most chronic disease.

Worse, Sears blatantly lied in his book with regard to Ironman champion Dave Scott, stating that the Zone Diet was responsible for Scott's comeback at age 40. Dave Scott, who won the Ironman World Championship 6 times while on a pure plant-based diet, stated in 2001:

"That's the biggest false statement ever. I've never read Sears' book. I've never tried Sears' diet. It's been awful having to refute this lie for the past five years. I called and left a message for Sears and sent him an e-mail, and he never replied."

Sears has never published any research to support his theories, and he is admittedly overweight.

The most anti-inflammatory diet (which also has an excellent track record of reversing type II diabetes and heart disease) is a whole foods plant-based diet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zVxA6yipv4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I02aVkdi_M

I've met most of the plant-based people in these videos several times over the past 8 years and they definitely walk the talk and are lean and healthy.

As for fish oil, the toxins are supposed to be removed, but you can't be sure of that. It's safer, healthier, and supportive of the environment to get healthy fats in proper ratios from whole plant sources (which is how fish and other animals get it in the first place) or from small fish low on the food chain such as herring and sardines. Flax seed and walnuts are excellent sources, and green vegetables are very good as well.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/03/04/fish-oil-makers-and-sellers-sued-over-toxic-supplements/

Since going plant-based 8 years ago, my triglycerides average around 60 and total chol around 130. HDLs between 66 and 70.

#11     Mar 16, 2013
  2. NoDoji,

I need to follow some of your diet advice for anti inflammatory sometime in the future! I get tendinitis pretty bad in my elbows. A couple years ago I decided all I cared about with working out was getting as strong as possible. I exceeded almost all my goals, but in the process I wound up with a hurt back and a nasty case of tendonitis. I've tried taking months off with no success. I had a buddy that also lifts heavy tell me fish oil made a huge difference for him, so I decided to give it a shot. Idk if its from the time I took off or the fish oil or what, but I can tell a major difference. I'm not going nearly as heavy as I was still, but I can feel a difference no doubt.

I'm trying to pack on some weight now though, so lots of chicken, steak, eggs, oatmeal, and PB&J's!

#12     Mar 16, 2013
  3. Off Topic, sorry. Nodoji, could you please tell me the name of your journal. I tried keywords "Nodoji trading journal" and after wading through countless search results I have not yet been able to find it. Thank you, G.L.

#13     Mar 17, 2013
  4. Nodoji, I was able to find your journal. It is posted as nodoji's day trading log.
    Sorry about interrupting this thread. Carry on.

#14     Mar 17, 2013
  5. [​IMG]

Here's more on essential fatty acids and why Vegans have it wrong. Take the time to read all 6 articles.

http://chriskresser.com/essentialfattyacids

#15     Mar 17, 2013
  6. There have recently been over a dozen randomized studies comparing the results of low-carb/high-fat diet vs. high-carb/low-fat vegan diets. The low-carb diets came out ahead on every one. [see list below]

The "AtoZ" study at Stanford was run by Dr. Chris Gardner, a twenty-five year vegetarian, who said it was difficult for him to have to report these findings because they ran counter to his beliefs. In addition to having the greatest weight loss, the low-carb dieters also had the best blood lipids and lowest blood pressure and other best measures of overall health.

http://nutrition.stanford.edu/projects/az.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo

There is no evidence that fats (other than trans-fats) cause health problems. Several meta-studies have confirmed this.

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...aminer/2010/03/end_the_war_on_fat.single.html

The "China Study," the vegan bible, was recently shown to be a less-than-honest evaluation of the data.

Denise Minger, a twenty-something former-vegan with no science degree, showed conclusively that Campbell cherry-picked the China Study data to give him the results he wanted.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/08/06/final-china-study-response-html/

Scientists and publishers were so impressed with Ms. Minger's work that she was offered the opportunity to write a book which will be out this summer.

All that said, virtually any diet that eliminates sugar and processed foods will make you healthier.

Randomized controlled studies:

Brehm BJ, et al. A Randomized Trial Comparing a Very Low Carbohydrate Diet and a Calorie-Restricted Low Fat Diet on Body Weight and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Healthy Women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003;88:1617–1623.

Samaha FF, et al. A Low-Carbohydrate as Compared with a Low-Fat Diet in Severe Obesity. N Engl J Med 2003;348:2074–81.

Sondike SB, et al. Effects of a low-carbohydrate diet on weight loss and cardiovascular risk factor in overweight adolescents. J Pediatr. 2003 Mar;142(3):253–8.

Aude YW, et al. The National Cholesterol Education Program Diet vs a Diet Lower in Carbohydrates and Higher in Protein and Monounsaturated Fat. A Randomized Trial. Arch Intern Med. 2004;164:2141–2146.

Volek JS, et al. Comparison of energy-restricted very low-carbohydrate and low-fat diets on weight loss and body composition in overweight men and women. Nutrition & Metabolism 2004, 1:13.

Yancy WS Jr, et al. A Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet versus a Low-Fat Diet To Treat Obesity and Hyperlipidemia. A Randomized, Controlled Trial. Ann Intern Med. 2004;140:769–777.

Nichols-Richardsson SM, et al. Perceived Hunger Is Lower and Weight Loss Is Greater in Overweight Premenopausal Women Consuming a Low-Carbohydrate/High- Protein vs High-Carbohydrate/Low-Fat Diet. J Am Diet Assoc. 2005;105:1433–1437.

Gardner CD, et al. Comparison of the Atkins, Zone, Ornish, and learn Diets for Change in Weight and Related Risk Factors Among Overweight Premenopausal Women. The a to z Weight Loss Study: A Randomized Trial. JAMA. 2007;297:969–977.

Shai I, et al. Weight loss with a low-carbohydrate, mediterranean, or low-fat diet. N Engl J Med 2008;359(3);229–41.

Krebs NF, et al. Efficacy and Safety of a High Protein, Low Carbohydrate Diet for Weight Loss in Severely Obese Adolescents. J Pediatr 2010;157:252-8.

Summer SS, et al. Adiponectin Changes in Relation to the Macronutrient Composition of a Weight-Loss Diet. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011 Mar 31. [Epub ahead of print]

Daly ME, et al. Short-term effects of severe dietary carbohydrate-restriction advice in Type 2 diabetes–a randomized controlled trial. Diabet Med. 2006 Jan;23(1):15–20.

Westman EC, et al. The effect of a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet versus a low- glycemic index diet on glycemic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nutr. Metab (Lond.)2008 Dec 19;5:36.

#16     Mar 17, 2013
  7. NoDoji

NoDoji

Although a whole foods plant-based diet is a vegan diet, a vegan diet is not a whole foods plant-based diet.

Vegan diets can be pure junk food. Also vegan diets can emphasize supplements, many of which are dangerous for a variety of reasons. Vegan diets can cause chronic disease just like the standard American diet.

Whole foods plant-based diets prevent and often reverse chronic disease. This has been proven over several decades in study after study.

Over the past 8 years, I have personally coached/mentored 14 people in plant-based nutrition. Most of these people had one or more chronic health problems (high cholesterol, high blood pressure, type II diabetes, asthma, allergies, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, prostate cancer, heart disease, GERD, IBS, and chronic back pain). Every person had major health improvements, with most having complete relief. I watched a woman with rheumatoid arthritis go from a wheelchair to walking unassisted over a 6-month period. I saw morbidly obese people lose over 100 pounds over a 6-month period. Everyone on blood pressure, cholesterol or diabetes drugs came off their meds. The greater the health problems, the more amazing the recoveries.

The only supplement that may be needed on a whole foods plant-based diet (if you're not consuming fortified cereals, non-dairy milks, or nutritional yeast) is B12 because in our society we do not eat unwashed produce grown in healthy soil, and we don't drink water from unfiltered ponds, lakes and rivers. That's where animals get their B12 naturally.

Chris Kresser has conducted no peer-reviewed research on nutrition that I can find. In his on-line store, however, he recommends a lot of provocative books that impart valuable information (specifically the ones on psychiatric drugs).

With regard to the Paleo diet, check out Dr. John McDougall's latest book that discusses research regarding ancient diets.

Because bone survives so long, animal bones were commonly found, and it was naturally assumed that the natural diet of ancient people was heavy on meat, berries, etc. (classic hunter/gatherer). However, more recent research indicates that the diets were far more varied.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2604935/

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305440308002045

#17     Mar 17, 2013
  8. I have absolutely nothing against safe starch consumption. IMO, its vital to good health. It's the macro percentages that we disagree with.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/

I just think it's silly and unhealthy to not have animal meat and fat in a diet. I also think very low carb is unhealthy and not sustainable long term.

To me, the most important aspect to great health is lowering the o6:wtf:3 ratio as close to 1:1 as possible. That is where almost all of low carb diets have it wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#18     Mar 17, 2013
  9. NoDoji

NoDoji

On this I totally agree. The ratios of the vast majority of people in the chronically sick USA often exceeds 15:1, thanks mainly to oils and "factory farming". Oil is added to everything; even nuts (a major source of oil) are roasted in...oil.

If you want EFA's from eggs and meats, you have to either raise your own animals who graze freely on their natural diet, or find a small farm that lets the animals graze freely on a natural diet, and be willing to pay for it. These farms are rare and usually require people to order up to a year in advance.

If you're consuming factory-farmed meats, you're poisoning yourself with no benefits whatsoever. If you go for meats/eggs labeled "free-range" or "cage-free", there's a very good chance you're getting scammed.

Visit the farm and get to know firsthand what you're going to eat. Our chicken today sure ain't your grandma's chicken:

"With the intensification of chicken rearing came the streamlining of their food based on cereals or grains, i.e. food rich in n-6 with little n-3 fatty acids. The primary food source of n-3 fatty acids is green plants and the tiny animals that eat green plants. These would have majored in the diet of the jungle fowl or a fully free-range chicken’s natural diet. Confining animals indoors and using cereal feeds has resulted in products with high n-6 and low n-3 content. This would happen regardless of whether the animals are fed with organic food or even if given a greater amount of living space as in the Freedom Food system. Cereals, whether organic or not, can have an n-6:n-3 ratio greater than 50:1. The relevance to human nutrition is that chickens and their eggs used to be one of the few land-based sources of DHA. The decline of dietary DHA and the disturbance of the n-6:n-3 ratio are thought to be contributing to the rise in mental ill health.

"Whatever action has been taken by the industry to reduce animal fat is to be welcomed but what we report here is a substantial discrepancy; more energy coming from fat than from protein with a reduction in n-3 fatty acids and both likely to impact on human health. There may also be unease at the cost to the industry and the high carbon footprint of a high-energy input being converted to fat that people do not want and are advised against by health experts. The industry has justified the intensive broiler system in the media, saying that the public wants cheap food. This stance omits consideration of quality. If one takes DHA as the limiting nutrient for assessment of quality, then to obtain the same amount of DHA from intensively reared chickens today as would have been obtained in the 1970s, one would be required to eat six chickens – ingesting somewhere in the region of 37600kJ (9000 kcal)."

From a study by Yiqun Wang, Catherine Lehane, Kebreab Ghebremeskel and Michael A Crawford, Institute of Brain Chemistry and Human Nutrition, London Metropolitan University

#19     Mar 17, 2013
  10. NoDoji

NoDoji

#20     Mar 17, 2013