Anybody here trade 50 or more emini sp500 contracts?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Starting Over, Jul 2, 2011.

1. joneog

joneog

If you don't mind, on what size are you getting bad slippage on /GC ?

If he's entering on a buy/sell stop (with no slippage) he's effectively 5 tiks from a stop.(1 tick against = 2 from entry) Still seems problematic for a market that trades like ES - not alot of clean moves.

#21     Jul 5, 2011
  2. EPrado

EPrado

I have had bad slippage on everything from a 1 lot to a 15 lot.

I had a ridiculous fill last week. Was trying to buy some at a price with a limit...got only one lot. Then the mkt went my way. I cancelled the rest and put a stop well away from my entry. The mkt eventually turned and hit the stop with my one contract. I got filled 1.50 from the stop price. That's crazy considering i only had one contract out there....

#22     Jul 5, 2011
  3. joneog

joneog

Wow. I've considered /GC but will probably just stay with 6E and GLD options/verticals.

You can look at the positive side of that trade: you didn't take that hit on the entire position; probably would have been 2pts away.

#23     Jul 5, 2011
  4. EPrado

EPrado

Yeah...GC can be brutally thin. I am considering going back to trading 6E. From what I can see not as much slippage.

Agree with ya on that trade. Was only a one lot...no big deal. Too bad gold is so thin as it is volatile enough each day for some nice set ups. But with crazy slippage I can't see trading any worthwhile size in it.

#24     Jul 5, 2011
  5. After hearing about your slippage, I replaced the GC with the ZC. Thanks for the heads up.

#25     Jul 5, 2011
  6. EPrado

EPrado

No problemo. What is ZC ?

The gold slippage doesn't happen a lot....but....the scary part is if someone comes in to buy a decent amount they can move the mkt way too much. That trade I had was the last straw. It's really surprising that such a major market as gold is so illiquid.

#26     Jul 5, 2011
  7. eCorn

#27     Jul 5, 2011
  8. EPrado

EPrado

I see. I traded ags a while back. Been some time.

#28     Jul 5, 2011
  9. Soybeans and Wheat are wonderful.

#29     Jul 5, 2011