Anybody Have Experience With OnTimeAlert ?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by libertad, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Anyone use this service ?

2. Aok

Aok

Libertad,

They are what is called a Whisper reseller.

Essentially you have the Insight platform accessed through and maintained by Ontime's servers for a slice of the cost of hosting Insight yourself.

Usually its 1/2 to 1/3 of the price of Insight outright. Typically the cost is 300/month.

The biggest caveat is the following:

1) Get it in writing how quick they will be about coding/hosting your personal filter criteria on their end. They(Whisper resellers in general not OnTime in particular) can drag their feet for weeks.

2) Verify that what you need they can actually do. First in terms of the filter, then in terms of the timeframe. For example I think Whisper can only scan the major ordinal time frames: 1m, 5m, 15m etc. So if you need tick, or sec, or volume or odd minute scanning, you're SOL.

3) Whisper resellers are extremely recalcitrant when it comes to hosting mulitple instances of your scans, so dont think you're going to have 10 different filters going at once without paying the piper. Their mentality is that you're getting a great deal on Insight(you are), so pay us and if we let you have 1 or 2 personal scans thats gravy.

I know nothing about OnTime except that I talked to them 3-4 years ago. There are a few Whisper resellers. One of them posted on ET a long time ago.

Some prop shop in Texas bought one of these outfits the owner just posted here couple days ago, but Im not clear on the details of whether they bought Ontime or Insight or what.

You can usually get a paid trial of these programs, $99/month is typical.

Another reseller off the top of my head who I did use for awhile is tradersparadise.com.

Its been years since I used Insight/Whisper but it is the CQG of scanners. Solid like granite and so fast.

Unfortunately the true power can only be harnessed if you actually have your own license and get the data. Thats big $ and lots of data headaches.

If he's still there call Barry Vaniel at insight-trading.com He'll give you the low down.

HTH

3. I'm hearing OnTime is no more?

Is there a comparable solution, I need real-time (not on demand, real time like every tick if possible) & CUSTOMIZABLE for all US stocks?

Tks

4. 1strader

1strader

I trade with AMR Capital and they still have the Insight software. Good guys, good shop...been around for a while...think they are/were a branch of RBC.