Anybody have a career related to markets, but no necessarily trading?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Froglet, May 30, 2012.

1. I don't people are anti-education as much as they are anti-debt. They usually go hand-in-hand. An average school that puts you in debt to the tune of 150k is obviously a travesty. Harvard for 1k is probably a fantastic deal. At least that's my take. If you have a passion in business and feel bad without an MBA, definitely get one; however, if you spend 100k and can't find a job for years.....well, you have been warned.

#41     Jun 15, 2012
  2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

No ones been talking about debt. Theyve been talking about employment opportunities.

#42     Jun 15, 2012
  3. Nonsense. I could go get a MBA from any of the hundreds of crappy MBA programs that have sprouted up over the past 20 years.

Not at all a "stamp of smartness". I know idiots who have their MBAs. I wouldn't trust them with parking fare, let alone actual liquid net worth.

#43     Jun 15, 2012
  4. +1 from someone in the business.

#44     Jun 15, 2012
  5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Yeah. That's true. I was referring to top schools. I agree a third rate school isn't worth the money and opportunity cost (assuming you have a good job/income already).

But if you go to a good school, you have a lot of opportunities in the business initially. You can't deny this.

#45     Jun 15, 2012
  6. I guess that could be true. I don't know what you would consider U of Maryland's school - just talked to a kid who just graduated from their MBA program, concentration in finance, and he had no idea what kind of jobs were even out there, any terminology, or where to start. It was really sad.

#46     Jun 15, 2012

7. Quote from pistolpt:

MBA doesn't mean crap unless it is from a REAL MBA program - Wharton, Harvard, Columbia. That's what my boss, who has been in the business for 30 years, says.

Everything else is like - woohoo. great. you decided to do more schooling and put yourself in debt. a monkey could do that.
    ========

wrong

#47     Jun 15, 2012

8. I agree. Wrong. A monkey can't do that. Maybe a Monkee could!

#48     Jun 15, 2012
  9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I'm thinking top 10 maybe top 20 (based on your current opportunity set).
    Maryland wouldn't qualify. and that is sad that he didn't know this stuff.

#49     Jun 15, 2012
  10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Fine.

My wife graduated from a top MBA. program
    At the end, she had three career choices:
    Banking/Trading/whatever: 250,000 first year.
    Consulting: a little under 200,000 first year.
    Marketing: 100,000 first year

Obviously the numbers only go higher from there over time.

The contacts and the network will last for decades. And by then that can be worth millions.

Surely that's worth a 150,000 investment.

And btw - my sister and her bf just graduated (last year) from the same school and her bf and her had the same opportunity set with the same salaries.

Again, this is only for a top school.

#50     Jun 15, 2012