Anybody have a career related to markets, but no necessarily trading?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Froglet, May 30, 2012.

1. dunno, could you entertain us with an example?

#31     Jun 13, 2012
  2. Lornz

Lornz

#32     Jun 13, 2012
  3. #33     Jun 13, 2012
  4. #34     Jun 13, 2012
  5. Froglet

Froglet

I'm thinking about a MBA as well, but I realize that even w/ a MBA & CFA, I might not necessarily get in a position, nor excel at what I do.

I realize in the corporate world, it takes certain skills at certain level. Ultimately, I have to ask myself is it worth it?

To say that I don't have a MBA when others do is one of the reasons why I feel like I should get one.

The thing is, I am considering this:

A) ONLINE MBA
    B) ONLINE MBA for CORE, then IN CLASS for CURRICULUMS I feel are more important.
    C) CFA afterwards

The world HAS CHANGED, and THIS IS A FACT. I don't know if going the traditional route of a MBA at a UNIVERSITY to even mean anything which is why I want to see if the ONLINE MBA will work for me.

What do you folks suggest? At my location, the MBA part time / online offers a lot more than the traditional university, but I've considered all the factors and might see if I can do the hybrid route.

What do you folks think?

#35     Jun 14, 2012
  6. Froglet

Froglet

I'm trying to develop a career whether it involves trading or not. I guess, to be frank, I don't want something DIRECTLY related, but perhaps associated with it.

Such as management of a portfolio, such as the operations/accounting of them as well. Trading in terms of pushing a button isn't what I want to do.

I want to model risk, quantify risk/reward and do something with more substance. I can trade stocks on my own if I wanted to satisfy the urge, but I want to improve myself through my career.

Yeah, it's all about the money though.

#36     Jun 14, 2012
  7. From my experience I can tell you that there's not a lot of money in operations, but it is a good place to learn how everything works under the hood... (the whole, what happens after I press the key to send an order to the market...)
    It's a fun fast paced job (can't recall a single boring day in the operations desk), where you have to deal with pressing issues that are costing someone millions and have to get solved immediately...
    This can make it a very stressing job... which can be a good thing or a terrible thing for you depending on yoru personality

#37     Jun 14, 2012
  8. MBA doesn't mean crap unless it is from a REAL MBA program - Wharton, Harvard, Columbia. That's what my boss, who has been in the business for 30 years, says.

Everything else is like - woohoo. great. you decided to do more schooling and put yourself in debt. a monkey could do that.

#38     Jun 14, 2012
  9. +1. even if the mba is from a top school if you're looking to go into investing in any way, most employers would chose a cfa over a harvard mba six days a week and twice on sunday.

#39     Jun 15, 2012
  10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Sellside trading has very few mbas. But buy side portfolio management, private equity, and most mutual fund pms have mbas. MBA is a stamp of smartness and the better te school you go to the smarter it implies you are.

Why is everyone so anti education?

#40     Jun 15, 2012