Anybody had Lasik done? It Seems Like My Eyesight Went Overnight

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Apr 26, 2019.

1. stepan7

stepan7

If you are wearing glasses try them yourself, you will see.

#21     May 6, 2019
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

Kind of offtopic, so I didn't want to go down this rabbit hole, but the thread came to a halt anyway, so...

I actually have one of those glasses, a friend gave it to me. The problem is, that if it temporary fixes your eyesight, you wouldn't really notice if it goes worse, because it keeps fixing it as time goes by.

But I still want to see a reliable STUDY that proves your claim (it stops eyesight worsening). And as I said, in the dark it doesn't work that well, not to mention you look extremely dorky wearing it.(on the streets)

I can see using it as an eye training device and wearing it for an hour or so. I'll tell you what, if I can find it, I will give it another try.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    #22     May 8, 2019
  3. LacesOut

LacesOut

I had LASIK done ($2k per eye) 3 years ago.

Greatest surgical procedure ever and if I went blind tomorrow it’s been worth it. Nearly 30 years of fucking glasses and contact lenses - goodbye.

My wife had hers done more than 10 years ago (same Doc who did Tiger Woods’ LASIK) and she’s still good.

#23     May 9, 2019
    Baron likes this.
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Lasik is 70-80% cheaper in Eastern Europe* ($300 per eye) and in Mexico too. If an American wants to get a free European vacation, that is how you get it.

Throw in some dental work, and you are actually making money!!! :)

*and pretty much everywhere. Here are the prices in Jakarta (1K per eye)

https://jec.co.id/id/blog/160/info-harga-lasik

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    #24     May 9, 2019
  5. LacesOut

LacesOut

I actually had a different procedure (PPK?) but I forget if that's because of the way my eyes were, or maybe the Doctors' just ripped me off...
    either way, it's the greatest thing ever.

#25     May 9, 2019
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I'm in the same boat as you, Baron. Am 47 and just recently began having vision issues where blurry (in right eye mostly) is a bit more than I can tolerate and finding myself squinting a lot. Never needed glasses before.

I've read so much bad stuff on LASIK that I am afraid of it. Not to mention the fact that I have a particular fear about people touching my eyes. I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'll eventually need glasses.

#26     May 10, 2019
  7. LacesOut

LacesOut

You are reading about only the 1/1000 chance that something goes wrong.
    Yes, something can go wrong.
    We take chances every day...
    Odds of dying in a car accident? 1/80...

I tell you - waking up in the morning and being able to see - is a miracle...and worth the risk, IMO...but it's up to you...

#27     May 10, 2019
  8. jetbird

jetbird

"Read Without Glasses Method" on amazon. I have not tried it yet, but I plan to.

#28     May 10, 2019
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

It is about the Bates method:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method

"Despite continued anecdotal reports of successful results, including well-publicised support by Aldous Huxley, Bates' techniques have not been objectively shown to improve eyesight.His main physiological proposition—that the eyeball changes shape to maintain focus—has consistently been contradicted by observation. In 1952, optometry professor Elwin Marg wrote of Bates, "Most of his claims and almost all of his theories have been considered false by practically all visual scientists."

Not helping is one thing, but causing damage is another:

"In 1967 the British Medical Journal observed that "Bates […] advocated prolonged sun-gazing as the treatment of myopia, with disastrous results."

About Huxley, it is funny and sad at the same time:

"In 1952, ten years after writing The Art of Seeing, Huxley spoke at a Hollywood banquet, wearing no glasses and, according to Bennett Cerf, apparently reading his paper from the lectern without difficulty. In Cerf's words:

Then suddenly he faltered—and the disturbing truth became obvious. He wasn't reading his address at all. He had learned it by heart. To refresh his memory he brought the paper closer and closer to his eyes. When it was only an inch or so away he still couldn't read it, and had to fish for a magnifying glass in his pocket to make the typing visible to him. It was an agonizing moment."

#29     May 12, 2019
    userque likes this.

10. I had lasik done almost 20 years ago, but it was for nearsightness, not farsighted. For you, they will just lasik one eye so that eye will be forever blurry for things far away.

#30     May 13, 2019