Anybody else worried about IB?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Genevian Speculator, Mar 29, 2020.

Are you worried as well?

1. Yes

7.5%
  2. No

75.0%
  3. Im not IB client, or want to see results

17.5%
  1. ZBZB

ZBZB

I bought premium bonds which are a U.K. state lottery where you get the money back. Yield 1.3% if you win the average. Up to a £1m prize if your get lucky.

#11     Mar 29, 2020
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  2. about the same chance UK defaults and IB going belly up

#12     Mar 29, 2020
  3. clacy

clacy

Put anything north of $250k into a treasury ETF like SHY or IEF

#13     Mar 30, 2020
  4. I've had this question in my mind for quite sometime now...

Hedge Funds manage billions of dollars AUM...many of them trade only futures and currency...their AUM are safe because they use a prime broker who is almost guaranteed to never fail?

Is that how it works?

Thank you

#14     Mar 30, 2020
  5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

In my experience, the largest hedge funds don't trade "only" futures and Spot FX. Putting that aside, they use larger banks to custody their AUM and the reality is there is no guarantee.

#15     Mar 30, 2020
    Cdntrader and SelfMadeDude like this.
  6. Daal

Daal

I would worry if IBKR shares went bellow $15 or something. MF global gave plenty of signs it was going under, by a plunging stock price and all the rumors. IB has none of that

#16     Mar 30, 2020
    VPhantom and Genevian Speculator like this.
  7. def

def Sponsor

You'll see IBKR posts daily seg numbers here. Fully transparent and with excess greater than many other firms capital.
    https://investors.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=7464

IBKR also has many hedge funds as clients. Some large, some small. I could easily argue that funds are safer at IBKR than some of the banks simply because we don't assets off balance sheet with little to no debt.

If you haven't read what we have to say about our strength and security, I would urge you to read here:
    https://www.interactivebrokers.com.hk/en/index.php?f=2334

#17     Mar 30, 2020
    Cdntrader, VPhantom, Gabriel2 and 2 others like this.
  8. Thank you so much for your answer, mister.

#18     Mar 30, 2020
  9. When do you think your margins will go back to previous levels...

For example, approx. $2K for a Aussie future contracts. Thanks

#19     Mar 30, 2020
  10. Bail ins are not just in the EU, the law is also set in stone for the United States, Canada, Australia, England (no longer part of the EU but the rules were never changed), etc.

#20     Apr 4, 2020