Anybody else supporting Ron Paul for President '08?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ultimaonliner, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Btw, you're not suggesting that anyone can stop the fall of the dollar are you? Our interest rates are only going to get lower which will push rates down. And I don't see any signs that the decreased dollar will eliminate the trade deficit. And we've got multiple negative factors affecting foreign confidence: budget deficits, subprime crises, etc., etc.

In other words, what are you suggesting is going to keep the dollar from falling?? I don't see any support in sight...

#121     Oct 17, 2007
  2. But if you own non-hedged foreign investments, then you'll be compensated unless the US takes down all currencies with it. But how can that happen since foreign money must go somewhere??

Furthermore, even Cisco, which is no powerhouse has seen some support in sales growth in spite of a US slowdown:

video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&brand=money&tab=s216&fg=&vid=CF4CB3E1-C8F4-4BF6-99EA-A5A6EAF97915&from=15/64jubak&playlist=videoByTag:mk:us:vs:1:tag:hotvideo_money%20top%20ten:ns:MSNVideo_Top_Cat:ps:10:sd:-1:ind:1:ff:8A

#122     Oct 17, 2007
  3. #124     Oct 18, 2007
  4. Looks like Brownback is dropping out.

#125     Oct 18, 2007
  5. piezoe

piezoe

Quote from ShoeshineBoy:

Well, let me say why I said what I did. Many US exporters are already doing incredibly well because of the falling dollar. If the dollar drops another 20-30%, then imo this will have a drastic effect on our exports. We will almost overnight become an exporting powerhouse which is what an economy like ours was born to do. There is no country that can compete with us in terms of innovation and creativity and that should make us export kings.

But as long as China and other countries artificially prop up the dollar, it ain't gonna happen.

We are already seeing this happen, btw, due to the falling dollar:

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2007/10...de-deficit.html

Isn't a falling dollar eventually going to lead to hyperinflation in the US and thus to demands for wage increases? Wouldn't that eventually negate to a large extent any benefit to our trade balance that we would have otherwise achieved via a falling dollar?

It seems to me that the great exporting nations achieved their status via productivity and cheap labor (China) or high quality production (Germany), Not because of a weak currency.

Personally, I believe that depending on borrowing to feed our war driven economy, and thus achieve the appearance of prosperity, together with monetarizing the resulting debt (i.e., paying our creditors with inflated dollars) will ultimately be disastrous for the US., assuming we continue on this path. Bernanke says that what we are doing now can not be sustained. He is right of course. But will we do anything substantive about this situation?:confused:

#126     Oct 19, 2007
  6. pma

pma

Another Ron Paul supporter here! BTW-I have yet to see ANY media coverage of him-makes you wonder huh????

#127     Oct 22, 2007
  7. He'll be on LENO Oct.30th.

#128     Oct 22, 2007
  8. He was on Fox last night after the debate. I respect his honesty most. He said he wouldn't necessarily support an nominee other than him if they didn't agree with his views on how the government should be run.

#129     Oct 22, 2007
  9. pma

pma

Arbprofit2-thanks for the heads up- I will watch it for sure.

#130     Oct 23, 2007