Any workable ideas to curb gun violence in the US?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 2cents, Jan 3, 2008.

1. loik

loik

2. Arnie

Arnie

Why don't all you guys that want to ban guns put a big sign in your front yard that says............

THIS IS A GUN FREE HOUSE

#22     Jan 3, 2008
  3. My houses have a sign that read..."This house doesn't call 911!"

:cool:

#23     Jan 3, 2008
  4. You would have people knocking on the door all the time, asking for their free gun.

#24     Jan 4, 2008
  5. :D

#25     Jan 4, 2008
  6. I would opine the solution to gun violence of present lies in the past.

Going back several decades and then to the origin of our country, just about every household was armed with guns. Women and children were taught how to use them for self-defense against animals and the wrong people.

Even today there are parts of the country where gun possession per household is high. Any amish or mennonite community is one. Many small towns in the country (such as mine) are another. I live in a town of +/- 2,000 people and by far the majority of houses have guns. Most people don't even lock their doors or outbuildings, crime rate is nil.

Now ask yourselves this simple question: why was there a lack of random shootings in malls or schools thru all of our history except recent decades? Why do amish and mennonite communities experience nil gun violence? Why do small towns like mine count guns deaths by one per decade instead of days or weeks?

I'd love to see an exhaustive study done that breaks down the demographics and culture or prevalent gun violence. Understand that is not a racist statement at all. If we truly want to save lives and stamp out gun violence, we need to know where it is coming from at the core.

Who are the shooters? What is their motive / compulsion to commit such acts? Where did the ideas come from in the first place?

Before the gun in a crime was procured, the idea of committing that crime was conceived. Where do these evil thoughts come from in the first place?

Gun prevention works exactly like drug prevention. Do the countries with toughest drug laws have lowest presence and use of drugs?

The solution lies in our culture's present state of mind. For several centuries the U.S. had no concept of random shootings, stranger on stranger crimes. Now it's everywhere. Who is fostering these ideas? Where do they origin?

There lies the place to start banning and abolishing things.

#26     Jan 4, 2008
  7. Arm everyone to the teeth and we'll all be safer? Is your name "Archie" by any chance ;)

#27     Jan 4, 2008
  8. It is already ceded Pabst. You think they were talking about arms for personal defense? It is about being able to band together to fight an established government with real weapons, which now days would include tanks, automatic weapons even fighter planes and nukes. Of course it says something about a well regulated militia, what ever the hell that is.

#28     Jan 4, 2008
  9. Promote birth control and abortion.

When there is nobody left to be shot at, gun violence will go away.

#29     Jan 4, 2008
  10. If the police couldn't protect you, you would seek assistance/protection from a gun owner. (ie civil disorder)

#30     Jan 4, 2008