Any work for a recent college grad?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by jond83, Jun 15, 2005.

1. newguy1

newguy1

i'm from an "elite" undergrad school. However, just take a look at the uchicago mba class of 2001. Its mostly composed of so-called "average" state school individuals.

pedigree gets you in the door for an interview. What you know after that is a bid deal for some jobs, such as quants. (now if you work in a profession that doesn't rely on any specific knowledge/brainpower....well....i hope you're charming)

connections can get you a job, state school or not.

bottom line is that a state school education matters less once an interview is attained, assuming the individual knows something. This is especially true for anybody with anything quant in their background. ( not stats, not econ, not engineering, not cs. I'm talking applied math/pure math, or graduate physics, or simply something past the lines of rudin's real analysis.)

Getting an interview is not that hard. Just realize that the majority of ____ companies don't want your employment. You could just walk down to your local walmart and ask if they needed someone and the odds are no.

Just send your resume out everywhere....you send a couple hundred, and you are almost 100 percent certain to receive an interview.

happy hunting. and don't listen to all the negative advice on this site. Its just absurd; elitetrader isn't exactly the common grounds for the ivy elite or GS front office crowd as the moniker might imply

#41     Jun 18, 2005
  2. jmccain

jmccain

I would rather mow lawns than work for your average American corporation.

Remember that most of your cubicle buddies are there because they can't make it in the real world. I mean really, who wants to be chained to a desk for 50+ hour weeks making someone else money?

Your boss has probably back-stabbed his way up the ladder. He's probably the dumbest yet most ruthless s.o.b. in the place.

If you must be 'employed', at least get a well paid job, save up some 'f'-you money (about 100K) and walk away as soon as you can. Your sanity will depend on it.

#42     Jun 19, 2005
  3. ellokn

ellokn

Huh? You imply something wrong or lesser about a State institution?

Most state institutions have supreme resources, etc and if you know what you are doing can and will get a supreme education to match.

Graduate from a U of Wisc, U. of Del, UVA, or even Oklahoma State with a demanding degree and good GPA above a 3.0 and believe me, it means a whole lot more than some kid graduating from an expensive "elite" school with a high GPA, which they all have.

I was recently with an outfit and two guys applied for a position. One came from Princeton. Had all the usual summer internships, pedigree, etc. The other went into the army right after high school, and then went to his "state school" and graduated with a degree in applied math.

The state school kid got the job, and offers elsewhere as well.

#43     Jun 20, 2005
  4. newguy1

newguy1

theres nothing wrong with flaming when someone deserves it.

previous post

"i'm from an "elite" undergrad school. However, just take a look at the uchicago mba class of 2001. Its mostly composed of so-called "average" state school individuals.

pedigree gets you in the door for an interview. What you know after that is a bid deal for some jobs, such as quants. (now if you work in a profession that doesn't rely on any specific knowledge/brainpower....well....i hope you're charming)

connections can get you a job, state school or not.

bottom line is that a state school education matters less once an interview is attained, assuming the individual knows something. This is especially true for anybody with anything quant in their background. ( not stats, not econ, not engineering, not cs. I'm talking applied math/pure math, or graduate physics, or simply something past the lines of rudin's real analysis.)

Getting an interview is not that hard. Just realize that the majority of ____ companies don't want your employment. You could just walk down to your local walmart and ask if they needed someone and the odds are no.

Just send your resume out everywhere....you send a couple hundred, and you are almost 100 percent certain to receive an interview.

happy hunting. and don't listen to all the negative advice on this site. Its just absurd; elitetrader isn't exactly the common grounds for the ivy elite or GS front office crowd as the moniker might imply"

reread my entire post and then read my little "flame"

flame:

your reading comprehension skills are terrible. If you took half the time to read my post carefully, you wouldn't have confused the meaning of the post, confused yourself, and worse off, confused anybody reading this.

You lose. Try again.

End flame.

everybody makes mistakes. no biggie.

#44     Jun 20, 2005
  5. newguy1

newguy1

furthermore, judging by your own post, english is not your quote, "supreme" language. That or you might have stayed up one too many nights.

In either case, peace be with you. To clarify, the whole point of my post was that pedigree only plays a priliminary role in defining interview candidates. In quantitative positions thereafter, a person can reach beyond any ivy bias by demonstrating superior knowledge (winning).

#45     Jun 20, 2005
  6. ellokn

ellokn

No intention to flame. I simply have trouble thinking that people have "pedigrees." (I know my dog does) and that one is defined by an institution they may have attended.

Further, and for what really counts, I do not buy into the idea that going to an elite school is a decisive factor in getting an initial interview.

And yes, I do work, live and think in another language; and my post was made in the early hours of the day.

But like I said, no intention to flame or take away from anyone's accomplishments. Apologies from me.

#46     Jun 20, 2005
  7. tomcole

tomcole

Going to an "elite" school, although many of us label them as 'very competitive', simply proves you have the brain power to get into a school where a lot of smart people go, work and research.

I think you'll find that the demand for Ivy league grads is much higher than state schools. Education in the US has de-linked from a democratic society - the more "elite" your school, the better shot you have of getting a great job.

#47     Jun 20, 2005