Any work for a recent college grad?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by jond83, Jun 15, 2005.

1. jond83

jond83

I was wondering if anyone on this site new of any openings as an assistant trader or something similar. I just graduated U. of Delaware with a major in Finance and minor in Economics with a GPA of 3.3. I have been trading my own account for three years and have experienced some success but would like direction under a professional.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Similar situation here, recently graduated from college, major accounting, minor finance.
    By the way, i happened to be on wall street today, near NYSE, i came up to the few floor traders that were outside smoking, i asked them what is the path to getting a job at NYSE, and they told me that HALF OF THE PEOPLE WORKING ON STOCK EXCHANGE EVEN NEVER GONE TO COLLEGE,IT'S ALL ABOUT CONNECTIONS, PEOPLE GET THERE WITH THE HELP OF THEIR FRIENDS OR RELATIVES WHO ALREADY WORKED THERE.
    So some guys choose spends 25k a year going to NYU or PACE, and can't find a job after that, and some even never gone to college and Make a lot of money at one of the laggest stock exchanges in the world. THAT IS NOT FAIR!!:)

So, what do u think guys?

3. ...and thank goodness for that.

:D

4. If you graduated from college and JUST firgured this out, you really need to go back and get some common sense.

5. "THAT IS NOT FAIR!"

Is that what is happening 90% of the time in the US?
    In the deparment ( IT ) where I've worked for more then 5 years, the Project manager didn't know how to reboot a PC.
    Our hep desk manager used to be a secretary and scrwed up there and now she is a manger with no technical background. Well I work for a gov. agency, but I know it works about the same way in private sector.

6. Nice attitude.

7. nkhoi

nkhoi

search this board, there are a plenty of advices for recent grad

8. Nutzo

Nutzo

Send out your resume and cover letter to a few prop houses for a trader trainee postion somewhere that allows you to trade firm capital (no capital contribution on your part) Don't go to a joke bulls**t chop shop like Bright trading:eek:

9. jond83

jond83

USMCinfantry... thanks for your generous input.
    I realized this when I first started trading as a sophomore.
    How about trying to help us newbie traders out instead of being sarcastic.

10. tomcole

tomcole

I'll give you some honest advice you wont like at all.

With a GPA of 3.3 from a non-competitive public univ, you are wasting your time and money sending resumes to any tier 1 or tier 2 firms in NY. Tier 1 firms look for a MINIMUM GPA of 3.5 from Ivy League schools to get invited to submit resumes. Unless your family has an 8 or 9 figure account at these firms, or you can walk in with a major pension account, they're simply not interested in you.

If I were you, I'd go back to Delaware and tell them how much you spent in tuition and beg for help getting a job. Maybe work for some broker for endless hours, low pay and try to go to a highly competitive grad school, like Columbia, and try again in 5 years.

#10     Jun 16, 2005