Any way to see history of automatically cancelled orders

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by bermondsey, Apr 22, 2022.

1. I have had several limit orders on the IB Android app but have seen that one of them is no longer there and didn't see a trade or position for the one that was missing, so I was wondering how and when it got cancelled, and whether it was the result of my cash balance decreasing though I have not done any recent trades that would result in that, plus it is a cash UK ISA account.

Is it possible to get an order cancellation history somewhere in IB reports or elsewhere on the portal or app?

2. I had a similar issue with a forex order last week. It got cancelled at the end of the trading day as that is how I had set it. But it was difficult to find a clear confirmation in TWS that the order was actually cancelled by the system. In the end I did find it: there is an "orders" tab where this order is listed. The order was not filled so it did not sow up in the "trades" tab. If it were filled fully or partially it is removed from the "orders" tab and placed in the "trades" tab. On the left hand side, next to the symbol of the contract it has a small red circle with the letter i in it. Hovering my mouse over it revealed a text saying "cancelled by system", or something like that.
    Note that you must change a general setting to show orders for multiple days in the past. You can select a value from 1 to 7.

bermondsey likes this.
  3. The orders I had were GTC (Good Till Cancelled) orders, that were good for six months or so. So I may not even look at these for weeks or even a good month, so unfortunately the max 7 day order history in the GUI won't help me with this. Trades are usually available under reports even after 7 days. I needed something equivalent for orders that didn't execute or were cancelled.

If someone wants to simulate this scenario, it would be easy to do if you have multiple accounts. Have a small balance in one of your accounts and create limit orders covering the entire balance. You probably know that subsequent limit orders won't be allowed. But here's the catch: if you move money from this account to another IB account, you would expect IB to prevent that in order to keep money against your limit orders. But surprise, IB doesn't do that. Instead, it will silently cancel your limit orders. I was caught by this as well recently, as I didn't realize I had moved more money than my limit orders needed. I found that out a few weeks later when I saw my limit orders were missing. Since it was more than 7 days, there was no trace, and it was almost spooky!

Now I would really love to see if and how I can see these cancelled orders, regardless of the reason for which they are cancelled

4. delta_1

delta_1

@bermondsey @HobbyTrading : Did somebody find a solution to this issue? I'm trying to find a cancelled order in order to figure why it was cancelled. In addition IB had an issue a couple of month back and almost all GTC orders were cancelled. Would have been a great help to check the cancelled orders before resubmitting the orders from scratch...

5. If you can't find it in TWS then I can only suggest to send a ticket to IB, asking them if they can find it in their records.

6. delta_1

delta_1

Well, I could reach them. Unfortunately you are correct: there is still no way to display cancelled orders. He had to look it up. I clicked on day order instead of GTC - my mistake.
    Would be such a useful feature...
    Thanks for your feedback though!

HobbyTrading likes this.
  7. mrsinatra

mrsinatra

i can't find the setting anywhere. can u please specify exactly where it is, what app or program, how to navigate to get to it plz?

i had a bunch of GTC buys of various tickers set up that stupid IBKR completely canceled instead of just pausing or suspending bc i maxed out my margin line to make a short play on NVDA earnings. after i returned the margin (and then some) they remained canceled. worse yet, come midnight, poof, they were gone completely! i have been looking on TWS, the phone app, the website, no joy! can't find a solution or the setting you specify!

thx in advance, -Mike

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+i+find+a+history+or+log+of+cancelled+buy+orders+on+ibkr

Last edited: May 23, 2024
  8. About the TWS panels: you may want to read this page from their manual: https://www.ibkrguides.com/traderworkstation/activity-panel.htm
    The very last screenshot on that page shows that there is sometimes a symbol, at the left side of the ticker name. See here: https://www.ibkrguides.com/traderworkstation/resources/images/rightclick.png See the red dot left of the QQQ order in this screenshot. If you hover your mouse over this symbol some explanatory text might pop up related to that specific order.
    One more thing you need to be aware of is that TWS only shows trades for the current trading day, unless you have changed the setting to also show trades of the last x days (x can be 7 at maximum). I forgot where that setting is hiding because I hardly ever use TWS.

And no, once an order has been cancelled by IB it will not "magically" be revived by IB some time later. Once cancelled it is gone, and you would have to recreate your order. IB is not telepathic, they can't read your brain and place randomly orders to what you might have intended to do under changing circumstances.

9. newbunch

newbunch

Have you checked your "Transaction Cost Analysis." In the IB portal (website), it's under "Other Reports." It shows orders placed that were not filled. Unless the order was cancelled right away (for lack of margin, lack of market access/permission, trade restrictions, etc.), it should be there.

mrsinatra likes this.
  10. mrsinatra

mrsinatra

thx! this had the tickers and shares, unfortunately not the price cap but thats ok, i just recreated. had to drill down in there a bit and when i did, the gear or bottom scroll bar didn't work, but i have tried reporting bugs to ibkr before and its not worth it.

this is def useful in case of future similar events, thx again!

#10     May 23, 2024
    newbunch likes this.