Any video card recs for 3-monitors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SWJ12, Oct 3, 2003.

1. H2O

H2O

I had one of them (G200 MMS) but had problems with large resolutions on 4 screens. When I requested info on this, I got the response that it might be a memory problem. The G200 has 32 MB.

I now work with Appian Rushmore (64 MB) without any problems.

#21     Nov 16, 2003
  2. demonet

demonet

Can someone possibly explain to me the difference between the following

Matrox Parhelia™ 256MB

Matrox G450 X2 MMS
    Matrox G450 X4 MMS

Matrox G200 MMS

Matrox Millenium P650
    Matrox Millenium P750

Appian Rushmore 64 MB (as just mentioned by H2O)

I know that those are a lot of different cards, but I am not sure if some of them are overkill....or they all basically the same??

I probably will always be able to get these cheap off of eBay, so I am not so concerned about the price.....but I also just want to get what I need and if needed, get a new one in the future.

As stated, all I want to do right now is drive two (2) 17" Gateway FPD1730 (LCD) monitors, but also would like the option (if that is recommended) to drive three (3) 191T Samsung monitors in the future.

Also, does anyone have any ideas about rack/mounting devices, etc. for three monitors? I like the ergotron.com equipment, its just a little pricey. I am looking for a desk-clamp type set up as shown in the pic below, but for three monitors.....anyone know of something like this? The pic shows a two monitor version and ergotron wants $500 for it??? Is that overpriced?

[​IMG]

#22     Nov 16, 2003
  3. #23     Nov 17, 2003
  4. demonet

demonet

#24     Nov 17, 2003
  5. i'mlong

i'mlong

thanks nitro

#25     Nov 17, 2003
  6. demonet

demonet

OK...I am a bit confused. I have a Gateway 17" LCD monitor (with another identical one on the way). The monitor is analog....BUT it has a DVI connector. I thought that this was for digital monitors???

Also, since I have two monitors with the DVI connectors, I now need a card with dual (or quad) DVI, right?

I also am reading on ET that cards with only 32MB of memory cause problems occasionally, so I thought 64MB or even 128MB would be better.

Since I only need dual monitor support now (with more perhaps needed in the future), I am considering getting an ATI Fire 128MB with dual DVI, and then get another of the same when I get a 3rd and/or 4th monitor.

Please give me your comments on this......

#26     Nov 18, 2003
  7. If your LCD only has an "analog" connection, then you can simply connect this monitor to the analog output of your dual-output graphics card.

If you are anticipating the installation of another LCD that is also ONLY analog, then you need to use the DVI connector ($15.00) in an effort to connect to the DVI output of the "dual-output" graphics card.

If the LCD also allows for a digital connection, then you can simply use the DVI output on the graphics card.

Most computers come with a a "dual-output" AGP graphics card these days, with one output supporting digital and the other supporting analog connections.

The DVI converter simply allows you to connect TWO analog monitors ( CRT or LCD ) to the outputs of your computer.

:)

#27     Nov 18, 2003
  8. demonet

demonet

What is an "analog" connection? my analog LCD monitor has a connector that is NOT the smaller 14-pin VGA connector, but rather the larger one (60 pin)...I thought this larger connector was a "DVI connector". So, based on this assumption of mine, because of this I need a card with TWO of these larger connectors in order to support my two monitors, each of which have this "larger" (i.e. 60 pin) connector, right?

thanks for your help

#28     Nov 18, 2003
  9. zdreg

zdreg

i have video card for dual monitor. sometimes when i try to close out of my trading system computer requests that i shut down and all pages are lost. i was told this was due to instability on video card
    any thoughts?

#29     Nov 20, 2003
  10. gnome

gnome

If you get a "normal" shutdown, the OS should save your settings for next time. When I have other than a normal shutdown, any changes I've made during the session are not saved (even when I saved within the software... those are lost too).

Problem could be OS, software or the video card. Easiest things to do are reinstall video driver, swap out a video card or reinstall market software. Also, run spybot software to clean your system. I find that when my rig gets a bit squirrely, I run Ad Aware or Search and Destroy... it always finds something and I work better afterwards. (I also just had a problem that required I reinstall the OS. Prior to that, I'd thought it was working OK... but now it's working LOTS better.)

#30     Nov 20, 2003