Any video card recs for 3-monitors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SWJ12, Oct 3, 2003.

1. I use a parhelia. It can do 3 monitors, no prob, but I use 2
    BIG monitors running at the higher 2048X1536 pixels.

This provides more screen real estate than 3 monitors
    running at the lower resolutions.

And yes.... it's AWESOME for games too :D

Edit: With three monitors, you run at 3840X1024 = 3.9 million pixels

At 2048X1536 = 3.1 million pixels.

I was wrong :D But it sure seems like more space to me... heh

peace

axeman

#11     Oct 3, 2003
  2. yeah, after a few weeks of using the Parhelia in triple head stretched mode last year, I decided to just dedicate to dual head mode with a very high resolution and am much happier with this layout. Granted, I could have just used the G450, but I also like the option of putting it back into triple head mode at some date if I decide to only put charts on this desktop...

#12     Oct 3, 2003
  3. I recommend the Matrox G200MMS Quad Cards.I know you only want a graphics Card for 3 monitors but if you buy a Quad Card
    you can run 3 monitors and will have the option of adding a 4th monitor at a later stage if you want,you get brilliant deals on Ebay.

#13     Oct 4, 2003
  4. demonet

demonet

I didn't want to start a new thread unless I had to, so I thought I would just post my Q to this thread.

Reading the last post it would seem that the Matrox G200MMS Quad card would be a wise choice in a card for multiple monitors, especially taking into account future exandability.

My current setup consists of one (1) (I know....it is painful) Gateway FPD1730, a 17" LCD monitor which I like very much. I recently picked up another identical monitor from eBay for a good price, so now I will soon have two (I can't wait!).

My question is....will the Matrox G200MMS Quad work with these two monitors? I do not think they are digital monitors (although is there any quick way I can tell?), but they are perfect for what I need right now.

In a year or so, I would like to be able to sell these and get three high-end Samsung 19" monitors, so, at that time, will I be able to use the Matrox G200MMS Quad with them?

Also, while I do not want to drop another 300-500 at the moment for some slick looking 3 monitor rack-360 degree moveable arm setup, but I do like the ones at Ergotron.com....however, since I know there has to be companies out there that make similar products, does anyone know of a cheaper but just as reliable way to mount 2 (and ultimately 3 monitors) with a product from a different vendor (other than ergotron.com)?

All help is greatly appreciated!!

Parker

#14     Nov 15, 2003
  5. nitro

nitro

You can mix digital and analog monitors on the G200 MMS card.

nitro

#15     Nov 15, 2003
  6. mktman

mktman

Charting:

What did you pay for the 9700Pro?
    Very $$$ now.
    Was considering going with the 9600Pro and PCI 7500.

Just wonder if these cards are to much for regular trading and surfing. TI4200 great card but out of stock everywhere.
    Newer FX line not as good.

mktman

#16     Nov 16, 2003
  7. #17     Nov 16, 2003
  8. COMP-USA is selling the 64mb Nvidia-based chipset "Prowler" MX 400SE by Mad Dog for only $29.99 with the $50.00 rebates.

Normally: $79.99

I currently use it to support a third monitor and it works great. The chipset and card even comes with a fan on it!

:)

#18     Nov 16, 2003
  9. i'mlong

i'mlong

can you run them with 1600 x 1200 res? with 4 lcd monitors?

#19     Nov 16, 2003
  10. nitro

nitro

From the Matrox website:

Key features:
    Matrox G200 graphics chip
    Single PCI card for Dual or Quad output
    Support for Dual or Quad Analog or Digital PanelLink® output
    Optional Integrated TV tuner and video capture support
    Up to 32 MB of memory
    250 MHz RAMDAC for flicker-free displays
    Maximum analog resolution per display: 1920x1200
    Maximum digital resolution per display: 1280 x 1024

Support for up to 16 monitors (Quad board only)
    Several multi-monitor software management features
    Customizable unattended install

nitro

#20     Nov 16, 2003