Any Troubles with IB TWS 865?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by gszabo, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Im still having a consistent problem with charts not closing after a time and sales is opened and closed on that chart.

I even redid my setup from scratch thinking it may have been a corrupted xml, but nope.

#21     Dec 27, 2006
  2. Yes, there is. I gave up running it on linux a while ago. I don't have time to debug this - but I think the issue is this - if you are running the latest & greatest, it is fine. If a new version is available, it just stops loading next time you restart. You keep looking at the splash screen... and keep looking... and keep looking...

#22     Dec 27, 2006
  3. I'm sure the "New Version available - do you want it now ?" dialog appears underneath the splash screen and the thing blocks until the the dialog is closed.

Something to do with the splash screen being a window without decorations and I guess bypassing the window manager (eg KDE) so that no other window under control of the window manager (eg the new version dialog) can ever appear on top of it.

IB, please do something about this - the problem has existed for a long time. It is really not necessary and a real operational PITA. It could be easily rectified by placing this dialog somewhere else on the screen or better still, do away with it completely.

#23     Dec 27, 2006
  4. graeme

graeme

Went back to the previous version of TWS and I can't log in at all now!

Anyone else having login troubles?

#24     Dec 28, 2006
  5. I was using 860.1 which was good.

Upgraded to 865.x yesterday before trading. Its good too.

#25     Dec 28, 2006
  6. I've asked about this as well for more than a year, but they pretty much blow me off. That popup prevents me from automatically opening up TWS after midnight, and since I can't get the backfill to work (IB says it's Sierra's problem and Sierra says it's IB's blah blah), I have no access to overnight data.

Yes, I could get another data provider. But IB is my broker and I'm a client. If they can provide me with a bunch of crap I don't want, they surely can get rid of that idiot popup upgrade window. Or is that just too hard?

LC

#26     Dec 29, 2006
  7. Catoosa

Catoosa

Using TWS 865.7 with Windows 2000:

At the start of each day, all of my symbols are missing from my TWS pages. I have to go to the JTS folder, delete the Log file for the current day, rename the Log file form one of the previous days to the current day and restart TWS to recover my symbols. This TWS version is a buggy piece of shit. Makes me wonder what is going on with IB's TWS development group. Come on IB, you have got to do better than this.:confused:

#27     Dec 29, 2006
  8. Running 865.2 on 2 xp boxes here. No problems. 'Guess I'll wait a little longer before upgrading.

#28     Dec 29, 2006
  9. Are IB and SC the only providers who make their clients involuntary beta testers?

Does it not make sense to ask for volunteers to use this stuff for a few weeks before releasing it?

Or is it just me? :)

LC

#29     Dec 29, 2006
  10. In defense of IB here, I've had a few suggestions for improving TWS which they've done and it's working great. They have a "poll" on their site where customers can suggest/vote for certain features which is a great idea. The drawback *is* frequent updates but rarely is anyone forced to upgrade. There is also a beta version usually running so I think overall their process has worked great (at least for me.) I've been with IB for almost 6 years now. One can usually roll back to a prior version if things are not working as expected.

#30     Dec 29, 2006