any trading software equivalent to CQG spreader?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by orangelam, Feb 20, 2021.

1. CQG Integrated client spreader, the monthly fee is USD1200. CQG spreader is fast and good for people to fill the synthetic spreads legs at the same time, but the cost is high.

is there any spread trading software which is equivalent to CQG but with free/cheaper monthly cost?

thanks!

CannonTrading_Ilan likes this.
  2. MichalTr

MichalTr

TT (if you choose cheaper plan but then you will pay in rt commissions, what will be in fact more expensive, but the cost will be distributed in time)

CTS T4 (with trade sniper, that will be less expensive solution)

3. TT is also as expensive as CQG if need to use autospreader.

CTS T4 is not supported by some big brokers like AMP futures or which supported broker is safe?

4. MichalTr

MichalTr

When you chose TT with lower cost and additional commission fees the starting cost is much lower (the overall cost is higher but it's distributed over time).

AMP and synthetic spreads ??? You better chose some broker (and/or FCM) that can handle that kind of topic. The cost of brokerage risk mistakes etc. you will avoid will be much bigger then savings you think you will get from discount broker.

5. thanks for your suggestion. but why it is related to broker? just feel like AMP is famous enough so i choose it as my broker. Say, if i use TT with broker AMP futures, i think the trading quality is just determined by TT, right? why broker matters ? any drawbacks in real trade?

6. Overnight

Overnight

AMP does not support exchange-traded spreads.

7. MichalTr

MichalTr

It doesn't work like that. TT, CQG, CST they are just routing your trades, providing technology for that and they have their infrastructure but there is also broker/ FCM involved in all that.

You can have same routing technology (let's say CQG) working perfect for spreads/flyies etc. with one broker/FCM and working crappy with another one. And it's your money that can be affected by those problems.

I.e.g. - if you want to trade exchange traded spreads, how your brokerage's risk department calculate your position and your pnl ? based on spread itself as a product from ets or maybe based on legs ? There are many products that are liquid and "heavy" on spread exchange products ladders, but not very liquid in outrights ladders. If outrights ladders go dry before close or after opening, what will happen to your position ? What do you think ? What with position/pnl calculation for synthetic made from correlated products with margin credit ? Another example - how is margin calculated for your synthetic overall ? In different points of time (when you enter your synthetic position, when you are in trade, adding to it, when you closing it, etc.) ? Let's say you trade synthetic spread but that combination has some span margin credit, for routing it's no problem, but are you sure it is working fine on your brokerage/FCM side ? If not, are you sure you won't have any problems with legging in ?

If you want to trade spreads do a research and use company that is suitable for trading spreads. You will save yourself a lot of troubles and money.

Beside all that, spreads are interesting products and I wish you good luck in your journey :) !

benwm likes this.
  8. Hmmm...

9. yes you are right. i think the crucial point of a broker is their margin calculation from routing to after legging in. once we figure it out in simulation, we may use our real capital.

yes, the reason i use CQG is i experienced how fast CQG help you catch the legs and their system is perfect.

i know for AMP futures, they require full margin add up of individual leg before filling. after filling, there is quite a large reduction in the margin. long time ago i worked in a prop firm but i don't know what broker they use. now i am just thinking choosing which broker for my own use. do you hv any suggestion? sounds like you experienced something from bad broker to good broker. appreciate if you can tell me a bit your story!

#10     Feb 20, 2021