Any traders living in Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by WhiteOut56, Oct 22, 2010.

1. JBahn

JBahn

Yes, the local food is very healthy. Farmers here cannot afford pesticides and the such. I buy directly from the farmers at a small farmers market so freshness is never a problem. Produce is very cheap here however if you crave for the typical American items (frozen pizzas, pop-tarts, chips, etc), it can get expensive.

A pineapple will set you back about $0.75
    Watermelon is about 1.00
    6 large tomatoes / 1.50
    Ring of Bananas 1.00
    2lbs of Kiwis - $2.00
    Head of broccoli - 1.50
    Dozen eggs - $2

The downside is that the beef is TERRIBLE here as it is very tough and has no flavor. We actually order our steaks freeze-dried from the US.

Pork and Chicken are excellent and very cheap.
    4 pack of Pork Tenderloins - $5
    4 pack of Chicken Breasts - $6 or $7 bucks.

#11     Dec 9, 2010
  2. I don't think you will miss the American diet of Aspartame, Phenylalanine, High Fructose Corn Syrup, MSG's, GMO Soy & Corn fillers, hormone milk, hormone meats, Melamine, Bisphenol A (BPA), etc, etc, etc.

#12     Dec 9, 2010
  3. JBahn

JBahn

You nailed it.

#13     Dec 9, 2010
  4. Restless living in the NE US. There was a time (before children) I dragged my wife for about a month to Key West Florida, thinking we could move there and I could tele-commute from there. Florida sucks!

CR sounds great. I actually have a book sitting on my shelf 'Living Abroad in Costa Rica' by Erin Van Rheenen. I was surprised to find out that even visitors can sign up for state run medical insurance or for a little more private medical insurance. As you write the quality of medical care is pretty good. I beleive Dell and few other large American companies have large operations there.

#14     Dec 9, 2010
  5. JBahn

JBahn

Tourist using the state medical system is no longer valid. About 1 year ago they reformed the immigration laws to exclude that. Now, one must be a resident and you are required to have it. I live with my wife and 15 month old daughter. We pay $230/yr to be covered under the state plan, however we have never used it. We do use it for medications when we need it and the medication is free. We choose to use the private hospitals which are still much cheaper.

To give you an idea, we used what is arguable the most advanced hospital in Central and South America. It is named CIMA and is located in San Jose. Most doctors are US trained and all are authorized to practice in the US. The birth of our daughter, including everything (OB/GYN, hospital stay, anesthesiologist, etc) costs us just under $3000. The care we received is better than any we ever had to receive in the US.

I find that most expats use private hospitals, but in an emergency the care you receive at the state hospitals is much more than adequate.

#15     Dec 9, 2010
  6. Just curious how is the CR school system for kids? Are there private schools where medium of instruction is English.

A few doors down from us in nyc is a young couple, they fly down to CR for surfing every six months. They fly to San Jose, rent a jeep or suv then make their way to the eastern shore. They do tells tales of being stopped by local cops and shaken down for a few bucks. Also they say when dealing with the government agencies its hard to get anything done without greasing a few palms. I mean they take it all in stride, its small amounts of money for them. What has your experience been like? thanks.

#16     Dec 9, 2010
  7. JBahn

JBahn

bearmountain - I would say that is dead on, but I dont really call it shaking down.

I have yet to be stopped by a cop just for the hell of it. I am usually always speeding. The traffic fines are very stiff...$400 or so for speeding. The cops will usually let you go for $10...sometimes they will ask for $20. I always happily pay. The cops are always very courteous. In fact, I was pulled over once for speeding and when the cop came to the window he asked why I was whispering. I told him my daughter was asleep in the back. He took a look, smiled, and whispered for us to slow down. He even went as far as to tell me where the next trap was located. Didnt even ask for a bribe. The cops here make very little money ($400/month) so they really need a little help here and there.

Unfortunately, the public school system is very poor and doesnt compare to anything in the US. Private schools are widely available and are used by most of the Expats. The one our daughter will be attending is taught in English. Spanish is a required course, as is one other language that they begin at age 6 and continue through High school. They can choose between German, Arabic, Chinese, and Russian. It is a very nice and safe campus. They graduate with an IB diploma which is accepted at any US university as well as EU universities. Costs for elementary education is roughly $400/month and gradually increases through the HS level. HS level will run you around $700/month. There are cheaper options for schools taught in English, but I am not very familiar with the costs. Unfortunately, there are not any Universities in CR that I would consider "world class"

Getting things done in the Govt is a slow process but there is never really a chance to grease anyone. The govt here is very strict about bribes, so I have never tried either. Things are slow compared to the US, but it is just part of the life. They will get done eventually. Patience truly is a virtue here. However, it has been my experience that if you really NEED something and you are courteous and explain how that official would be doing you a big favor, they will bend over backwards to help. If you March in and demand that they do their job and help you, then your paperwork will be immediately pushed to the bottom of the stack. Courtesy, a smile, and a soft hand go a long way here.

#17     Dec 9, 2010
  8. Which spots are good for surfing. Thanks.

#18     Dec 9, 2010
  9. OK....THAT DOES IT!!!

I will be on the next flight down.....COPS that even the locals can "buy"!!! :eek:

:D :cool: :D

#19     Dec 9, 2010
  10. JBahn

JBahn

Proximo - I am embarrassed to admit that surfing is still on my to-do list.

From the top of my head, I know of two very famous surf spots. One is called "Witches Rock" and is located only 20km north of me.

The other spots are along the beaches of Jaco which is only about an hour drive from the airport in San Jose.

#20     Dec 9, 2010