any trader with military training???

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by 0008, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Correction: They're are no "ex-marines" only former Marines.

From the Fleet Marine Force protecting America from the blinding white light to the battles of Wall Street ....and I've loved every minute of it.

Semper Fi
    Dr.Z

#21     Feb 6, 2004
  2. I agree 100% cal.

First, not everyone in the military is disciplined.
    Second, people change, and many who used to be disciplined become undisciplined during and/or after their service.
    Third, it is a different kind of discipline. Related, but not the same:

Discipline in trading requires faith in the trading method. What is chalked up as "undiscplined trades" is many times a lacj of faith in the trading system.

So a guy might run 10 miles a day, lift weights on a regular program, get up at 5am, because he understands the long term benefits of those habits. But the same guy might trade like an ass and not stick to the plan, because he has no faith in the plan and is unaware of the long term benefits.

#22     Feb 6, 2004
  3. Quick 5 minute google on Richard Machowicz reveals that he's an ex SEALS instructor (HUGE difference bet. that and storming Panama, Grenada, etc.), an actor, a bodyguard, a senior executive of an international company, Buddhist priest, trader, and author.

Did he ever make any money trading?

maybe soldiers are disciplined but i doubt they are encouraged to be creative.

Some older soldiers remember the term "field expediency"? You made what you didn't have with whatever you had.

Correction: They're are no "ex-marines" only former Marines.

You were broken down and than re-made a new, better than you were before. Amazing how pain, in many forms, can make you proud.

There are so many wannabes on this board who have to express their idiotic beliefs. What you believe is not everybodys truth. The internet needs some kind of filter to eliminate idiotic self promotion. God .... on a psychology board too.

Let me put it another way, there are so many jerk-offs with fake names and lame viewpoints and nothing to add that it has to make you wonder. If someone has nothing to add it's OK, but so many bash and flame others while taking up space, or just to fan their ego's, that the few kernels of information you filter out of the BS are not worth the time.

Trade every day, win or lose evaluate by rational, scientific testing. Did I do a good job trading today? The evaluation of that is a measure of did I follow my system. Did I win or lose is of absolutely no use for the trader. However , for the researcher, dept or for the trader that does his own research, was the loss from a normal failure, or was it a changing cycle.

Any system is better than no system at all. Be prudent, yet aggressive, stick to the script, trade every day, evaluate and test every night. Sooner or later you will notice things repeating over and over. Be aggressive and profit form those observations.

That sums up the "trading and military" aspect.

#23     Feb 6, 2004