any trader with military training???

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by 0008, Feb 5, 2004.

1. #11     Feb 5, 2004
  2. mind

mind

maybe soldiers are discplined but i doubt they are encouraged to be creative.

#12     Feb 5, 2004
  3. Not true, individual soldiers are the most creative, it is getting their idea implemented through the chain of command which is difficult.

#13     Feb 5, 2004
  4. Not entirely true. It depends on the kind of training the soldier get, especially in the comanding levels.

TM Trader

#14     Feb 5, 2004
  5. Not true ... after all the training anyone gets, the last mantra in war is to find a way with the resources at hand. When one's survival is in question, it is no surprise how creative military personel can get. In most of my military training, we spent half the training time on the 'standard operating procedure,' and the other half on possible methods for accomplishing the mission without any resources, forewarning, etc. etc... Creativity, in this sense, is incorporated throughout military training, notwithstanding all the sterotypes.

Isn't the 'Art of Jimmy-rigging' a required course in all military training? Jimmy-rigging can require considerable creativity ...

Finally, in my trading I find that discipline best trumps creativity. When one finds an opportunity it is best to simply jump on it and exploit it till it is exhausted, then exit. If one tries to get fancy or overly creative, they can be their own worst enemy. Most often the best option for a trader is to sit on their hands and do nothing, and that takes discipline.

#15     Feb 5, 2004
  6. There must be idiots as well as non-idiots in military as in every other fields. Discipline is not exclusive to military and I don't think that too much discipline is useful since you have to remain flexible and take initiatives when something goes wrong. I rather think that any person with an experience of 5 or 10 years in a field has normally acquired the experience of discipline whatever field it is.

#16     Feb 6, 2004
  7. There are so many wannabes on this board who have to express their idiotic beliefs. What you believe is not everybodys truth. The internet needs some kind of filter to eliminate idiotic self promotion. God .... on a psychology board too.

Any way, moving on.

Are trading self discipline and military discipline similar? If trading discipline involves redirecting your own attention onto your objective, is that similar to military discipline where someone else may be redirecting your attention?

Trading may also bring many clashing beliefs that you may not learn how to address and change in the military? Perhaps even beliefs that were ingrained in the military? Do you learn the skills to identify and change conflicting beliefs?

In my humble opinion, self discipline in trading is about aligning your beliefs with your goals and desires. Then self discipline simply exists and there is no alternative. Rather then courage and immense bravery to fight your fear and greed. That is what trading is about, not fighting spreads, commissions and excuses.

The funny thing is when you put yourself in the position to open up and align your beliefs with your goals and desires, thats when creative moments are likely to happen. Not that 'I believe' they are as important (or even necessary) as self discipline in becoming a successful trader.

#17     Feb 6, 2004
  8. If I'm not mistaken ES and NQ wizard AMT4SWA was in the marines. I remember him saying discipline and mindset is the key part of his trading strategy...

#18     Feb 6, 2004
  9. pspr

pspr

No but I've killed a few people I didn't like over the years. Does that count?

#19     Feb 6, 2004
  10. Hello 0008:
    I am an ex-Navy diver. I received excellent in-service training and as a result, I believe I have an edge over other participants in the financial markets. What I have noticed is that I am able to organize myself quickly, to find and validate strategies that work, and to execute a program without emotional interference. Although these skills have contributed greatly to my success, I believe it is the ability to identify and adapt to a changing environment that has helped me most. By the way, I don't believe that military training is the only way to acquire these skills. Rather than join the military, it might make sense to start by reading "The Psychology of Trading" by Brett Steenbarger. He discusses many of these issues, and perhaps can provide you with some training alternatives. Good luck, Steve46

#20     Feb 6, 2004