any trade a strategy around gappers?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by theapprentice, Aug 25, 2017.

1. There don't seem to be many threads about equities trading on elitetrader. All basically futures it seems.

But in my experience, it seems that the percentage of successful traders seems to be higher with the stock trading guys that with those that try to trade futures.

Certainly it seems that going through the old PNL threads, everyone who made money traded stocks.

---------------

Nowadays, when I see people on youtube etc who appear to be making money, it seems as though all of them are trading the same stocks (gappers, medium to high stock price, high volume stocks etc) and basically using the same strategies (breakouts)

The videos of Meir Barak on youtube are a good example, although there are lots like him it seems.

I'm wondering if any people here trade like that? Are you profitable? How long for?

This style of trading interests me. I've been trading equities very small size for about 5 months, and i'm yet to get any sort of consistency/success. I can't seem to replicate their success. I seem to be doing something wrong (different to what the winners do), and so obviously won't be trading 'real size' any time soon.

Would be cool to hear from people who can maybe help me out and share their situation

PS - I will maybe post the results/charts of todays trading later on

2. I followed "trading for dummies" at http://maoxian.com for quite a while. Not my style it turned out but he did trade stock gappers. Unfortunately maoxian changed his site and I don't think his "dummy" series is there any more. Luckily his posts were captured by various folks such as here: http://earlyrun.blogspot.com/2007/05/maoxian-trading-for-dummies-1.html

A fellow named "trader mike" tradermike.net also has "dummy" related material and frequently references maoxian.

johnnyrock likes this.
  3. Handle123

Handle123

Normally 90% of funds I trade are in my 401k LLC, which means I can do much more than standard 401k. http://www.sdretirementplans.com/self-directed-401k-basics/401k-faqs/#3
    So all my real estate is in the 401k.

I started with stocks 1978 and most of my funds are long term "core"stock(must pay dividends) and dance options around them, secondary signals are 90% swing exit and keeping 10% to core positions. I do good amount of shorting of non dividend stocks or carefully watch when dividends are near and don't take those short signals. Regardless if trying to add to core by buying other core stocks or "swing" positions, the risk has always been the same, but given the great bull market been going for 8 years, less likely to find other stocks to buy long term. What has been truly amazing, the economy has sucked for 8 years, can you imagine if economy really got on board?

But the blunt of returns made are in futures both long term and scalping, mainly cause lower outlay of funds, so less funds in these accounts generate better ROR, but between the two of stocks and futures, complete opposite ways they are traded, in futures very long term of being in years of rollovers, automation is seeking of selling new contract high/buying new contract lows and always hedged. Scalping is more like averaging little, under $18 per based on weekly stats but increased size, by far scalping has the greatest risk, by far. Day trading, took me 30 years to find something I was happy to use. My goals have changed through the years from highest winning percentage to getting losing to lowest I can get, I will give up profits to get lower losing percentages and smoother equity curve, but been surprised by working on not losing, don't really make less, but it is often comes in one of three years where make bigger profits and two other years of threading water and making some on selling options and doing seasonal spreads.

I think people flock to futures more cause they are under financed, whereas stocks, you need it all. This is first year I been doing margin on purchases, never thought I would do so, but only taken me so long to feel confident to do so more safe, but in back of mind am really thinking the end is near, LOL. But you diversify well, less likely to wipe out.

I don't do breakouts in stocks, but many entries are chart based, more along the lines of "traps", to me it is like buying a one year old car, let others pay the price of getting in first and less risk on second bite of the apple. Very few times I don't get into some trades. I prefer to get into $8-25 stocks as they can offer bigger percentage moves. I will do higher priced stocks but generally for day trading/scalping. I have learned to allow core positions to turn into bigger priced stocks and keep getting the dividends, well after 8 years, done well getting those dividends. I also started something couple years ago, similar to dogs of the Dow, but sectors of the S&P500, I wait for 3 of 4 years being worst in bottom two based on percentages, most stocks won't stay that low forever and give very nice higher returns the next year, but of course checking the charts. You can to really learn charting, do a few years of doing by hand, I did that for twenty years, even after I bought computers, something about hand to brain on learning.

Anything I buy on systems over 59 minutes are done hedged, yes you make less or take small losses, but like in commodities I am right 5-15% of the time, and stocks seldom over 40% profitable trades, so my style I require to be hedged. But here is the bright spot, I don't have to be better than S&P Index percent for the year to beat the Index, just have smaller drawdowns and the say 25% the index made, add 25% to my less drawdown increases what the Index did. So if you can cut your drawdowns by at least a third of the index, less money you have to make up. I wish in my beginning I learned more about risk management first than how to profit, keep losing down as low as possible, you have much better chance of doing well will less sleepless nights.

I have designed systems looking pre-volatile occurrences and eventually find the nuances, some would call them HFT moves. But like in life, usually discover everything by accident, LOL.

Most people have trouble in trading cause they really have figured things in wrong ways, like trend, want indicators fast, when I use the slowest-fast usually means over trading and many false signals. Too often people want to be first to the party, where you learn that offers over trading and more losing trades. Luck of getting into GREAT trades don't occur enough, some say they get them most of time, I never seemed to have luck, you have to learn to have great patience and been very disciplined, time seldom on your side first getting in but after you get to better than breakeven stops, just leave them there, all backtests I have done show trailing stops robs me.

I always check monthly and weekly charts, half my signals come off weekly charts, and many credit spreads comes off weekly charts. Slow is better for me, consistency, slow turtle, LOL.

Simples and PennySnatch like this.
  4. Well Mier Barak appears to have made 5k like he does almost every day! I've actually watched him trade live on youtube for months so I know he's legit. No hindsight stuff like most traders. You can see everything. Live.

But I don't really just want to copy his trades. I understand the general strategy, but somehow, the stocks that I choose to trade 'fail' in terms of the pattern, wheras his picks seem to work as they're supposed too. Frustrating, lol.

I'll show my entries from today in a minute

5. I've talked to a couple of guys that day trade only the same few stocks every day. On the other hand many approaches are quite promiscuous and have you constantly searching for what's hot today. It's really a matter of finding an approach that fits your style.

6. elite1.jpg

7. PSTG Long

8. And just so you know i'm not pushing Meir Barak, here's someone else I stumbled upon.
    Not even watched this vid yet, buy i'm about too. I bet he traded some similar stocks to me today

9. this won

elite2.jpg elite2.jpg

10. _eug_

_eug_

How are the bid/ask spreads on these stocks? Are you taking or providing liquidity?

#10     Aug 25, 2017