Any thoughts on this article?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by shneed, May 28, 2002.

1. shneed

shneed

Are you saying that all of us eventually will have our day (when it comes to trading that is)?

shneed

#21     May 28, 2002
  2. carlp

carlp

Why don't you post a synopsis of the article instead of having us click a 'link'? For all we know it could be a 'pay-to-view' link that just wastes time.

Just like the guy a week ago who posted a link of traders in an area which required a $60 fee. Give me a break..

PS I did NOT click your link and don't intend to....

#22     May 28, 2002
  3. shneed

shneed

Unfortunately I am not as wordy as the author. FYI this is a reprint of the article from the NEW YORKER Magazine, it costs nothing to read it.

shneed

#23     May 28, 2002
  4. Before I answer that, did you click on the free chart I posted to your attention?

#24     May 28, 2002
  5. shneed

shneed

Yes, have no clue.

shneed

#25     May 28, 2002
  6. ok. go here.

#26     May 28, 2002
  7. >>>

#27     May 28, 2002
  8. shneed

shneed

I took probability course back in college, about 15 years ago. Should have paid more attention to it.

shneed

#28     May 28, 2002
  9. because it looks like any old stock chart. I think it's saying, in answer to your question, that it will happen to all of us. The question is, how much size will we have on when it does.

Ralph Vince's discussion of Optimal f touches on this (Portfolio Management Formulas).

Solomon, thought to be the wisest man whoever lived (certainly was the richest and had the most women) said, 'time and chance happen to them all.'

Now, how would you play that second chart, if you had to>?

#29     May 28, 2002
  10. redzuk

redzuk

Could Taleb just be lucky the black swan event covers all the losses.

#30     May 28, 2002