Any suggestions on Partition Magic 8.0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OffShoreTrader, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Hi everyone.

Isn't great that traders end up being computer experts also??

Here is my question.

I'm running Windows XP on a Dell 1.8 ghz. Super machine, no problemos until...

About 1 year later, and endless installs/uninstalls, add/remove programs, etc..... the PC just aint running like it used to. Lockups and crashes are more frequent, and the hard drive runs like a mofo.

I've done the defrag, ran a clean registry, and it still doesn't run the same.

So I purchased Partition magic 8.0, hoping to back up the needed files to a new Partition and then use the RESTORE disk that came with computer to bring it back to new.

Is this a good idea? Or are there any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2. I would just backup the data you need on cd's or zip disks and wipe the puppy clean. Complete reformatting w/ new reinstall of OS and all progs. I know the "kiss your sister" approach is easier, but it sounds like your system needs some REAL love.

& talk to Dell about what might void your warranty & if they have any specific recommendations on how to bring you system back to a virgin state.

Lastly, MS product support told me that they have right to deny OS support to anyone using Partition Magic b/c it writes to the boot directory(?)--which they don't recommend. They haven't identified any specific problem w/ PM, but just thought I'd let you know what the MS tech told me.

3. Banjo

Banjo

I'm at the bottom of the ladder tech wise, these guys turned me onto http://www.lavasoft.nu/software/adaware/
    I had more crap spyware etc. programs running in the backround consuming resources than trading programs running in the foreground. It stopped my lockups, freezes etc. Maybe not the cause of your probs tho. I use the pro edition.

4. I'll second the reinstall approach. I end up doing it once a year or so. Especially if you install and uninstall a lot of programs. Most programs do NOT clean up after themselves when you uninstall.

If you have a clean OS and you're still having problems, especially lockups or the blue screen of death then you're probably having some sort of hardware problem. We can burn that bridge when we get to it though.

Best of luck.

5. Banjo, I know how you felt. :( I was amazed.

6. Oh well, I thought there would be an easy way out?!?!

Thanks again.